Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on msd ignition box. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice on msd ignition box. Anyone?

I have a question for anyone. My own a '99 SS M6 with heads, cam, intake, rear, suspension upgrades. However, my ignition system is pretty much stock for the most part with the exception of msd wires and ngk tr6's. Is an ignition box worth the investment? If pushing higher rpm's, am I losing out on my top end by not having an msd box to help, or is the stock system more than enough? If not, recommendations on what type of box to get? Thanks for the help from all.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't run a box on a distrubutorless ignition. We have a different type of ignition and spark delivery than what is used for a box. You are thinking SBC-LT1/BBC most likely.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 06-21-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

MSD is making a ignition box for GEN III vehicles...is call MSD 6ls (for the ls1/ls6 is the 6ls and for the ls2 is the 6ls-2) it can be use on EFI and carb motors...i bought one but haven't installed it yet, so i can't tell how good or bad is it.....it has a rev limiter and timing control. if you wanna check it out here is the link. http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...)_Engines.aspx
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks. Your right in that I was thinking about an LT1 in that a friend of mine has one one his, which the system is different (brain fart). Let me know how that msd turns out on ours. When are you installing it?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TA Collector
Thanks. Your right in that I was thinking about an LT1 in that a friend of mine has one one his, which the system is different (brain fart). Let me know how that msd turns out on ours. When are you installing it?
i'll probably do it this weekend so definitely i'll you how it turns out.