Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Second gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second gear problem

So... My car has been at the body shop for a month getting the ground effects removed, all the holes filled, and then repainted.

I got it back today and put my sportline springs on it and decided to go for a cruise.

Well I went to shift 2nd pretty aggressively and and boom rev limiter. So I slow down and try to gently put it in second. It feels like it goes into gear, but as soon as I give it gas it pops back out. (there is no grinding when I put it in second)

I checked the stops on my pro 5.0 shifter to make sure they weren't in the way and they had plenty of clearance.

My question is: Do you think I shelled second, or is it more likely I bent a shift fork? Is this a common problem? Has anyone else done this?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you broke the 1/2 keys or the snap rim that holds them together. You need to get the trans rebuilt. It will not get better. It will not heal itself. Using synchro mesh oil is not going to help it. Get the billet 1-6 keys and pads while it's down with a new set of carbon blocker rings and steel 3/4 fork. Make sure when you adjust the 5.0 that it is not stopping because it hits the end it the gears throw. Stop it before that so you don't damage the trans.

Sent from Clyde Haight's iPhone
Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by haighter
Sounds like you broke the 1/2 keys or the snap rim that holds them together. You need to get the trans rebuilt. It will not get better. It will not heal itself. Using synchro mesh oil is not going to help it. Get the billet 1-6 keys and pads while it's down with a new set of carbon blocker rings and steel 3/4 fork. Make sure when you adjust the 5.0 that it is not stopping because it hits the end it the gears throw. Stop it before that so you don't damage the trans.

Sent from Clyde Haight's iPhone
I realize that the transmission is not going to get better. I never once thought of using an additive to fix it. I was just hoping for a bent shift fork, and was really hoping to hear someone say, "Yeah I bent my second gear shift fork also. It's a common occurance." LOL

Oh well Guess it's time to go bigger and badder.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

I had this EXACT issue when I bought my car.

My case turned out to be a bent fork, and rounded syncro gear teeth.

When I rebuilt my T-56, I popped in a stronger fork, and brass blockers,
along with new gears and synchros.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterZCar
Well I went to shift 2nd pretty aggressively and and boom rev limiter. So I slow down and try to gently put it in second. It feels like it goes into gear, but as soon as I give it gas it pops back out. (there is no grinding when I put it in second)
It's not uncommon to strip all the engagement teeth off of 2nd gear, and the newer / replacement gears have stronger engagement teeth.

See if you can hold the shifter in second and let out the clutch while standing still. If so, then plan on a new 2nd gear and possibly a new 1-2 synchro during the rebuild.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterZCar
So... My car has been at the body shop for a month getting the ground effects removed, all the holes filled, and then repainted.

I got it back today and put my sportline springs on it and decided to go for a cruise.

I checked the stops on my pro 5.0 shifter to make sure they weren't in the way and they had plenty of clearance.

My question is: Do you think I shelled second, or is it more likely I bent a shift fork? Is this a common problem? Has anyone else done this?
Most likely cause of popping out of gear is broken shift fork pads. The plastic pads break and doesn't engage all the way into gear and when you let out the clutch, the shape of the teeth will push it out of gear.

I have yet to see a 1-2 shift fork bent but doesn't mean it can't happen. I have seen them break but not bent.

Quick Reply: Second gear problem