SIG P220, XDM 45, or USP 45??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SIG P220, XDM 45, or USP 45??

so i need a good pistol for carrying on duty as armed security. budget is probably around 850. maybe a little more. has to be .45 acp and has to be accurate. i already have a hand-me-down colt combat commander 1911 and lets just say the sights on that gun are for show. not sure if it's just because it's aging or what, also i've had to replace a few failed parts on it already and don't want it to fail on me in time of need. SO like the title says...

SIG P220 .45 ACP

4.4" bbl
31.2 oz
8+1 capacity
10lb/4.5lb DA/SA trigger pull
nitron finish
full metal frame w/ polymer grips

i like this one because it's beefy, feels very solid and balanced in my hands, and i like the controls.

XD/XDM .45 ACP

4" or 5" bbl
13+1 capacity
30 oz (4") or 32 oz (5")
5.5 lb/7.7 lb trigger pull
polymer lower reciever
grip safety and trigger safety
striker indicator
loaded chamber indicator
M models have interchangable grips, better sights, mellonite finish, match grade bbl and a few other small differences.

this gun is very affordable however the M models are are about $200 more and on back order.(worth the wait and price?) the high capacity is nice but not a deciding facotor for me. the polymer frame also does nothing for me, and can even be a minus, when the gun is almost dry it is slightly top heavy and unbalanced. and there is really no weight savings compared to the metal framed p220(and when fully loaded is probably heavier)

HK USP .45 standard

4.41" bbl
12+1 capacity
4.5/11.4 lb trigger pull
31.36 oz
polymer lower reciever

this gun has the most bad assery built in, i mean it's a **** hair away from being a MK23...but other than that the specs speak for them selves. and on paper it's very similar to the XD pistols. however it doesn't have as many little crappy bells and whistles, which i like. i also like the factory grips on the USP the most.

based on price alone a plain jane XD would win, but idk i'm kind of hesitant about the XD's now...when they came out i thought they were **** hot but now that i am about to buy a gun....idk i think i am leaning more towards time tested and proven platforms. what do you guys think?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All nice guns for sure, but I love my XD's.

I have a XD40 and a XD9, I take them to the range pretty much weekly. Everyone I have let shoot them has fell in love with them, my pops is bugging the hell outta me to trade him my XD9 for his S&W .40. Hell he offered to throw his Mossberg 500 in on the deal lol.

XDM .45 is my next gun purchase, im just waiting for the dust to settle on them and for the prices to come back down to earth a little bit. But a friend of mine back home got his already and says it is a dream.

If I had to put an order list on those three guns it would be in this order:
XD/XDM .45
USP .45
SIG
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go with the XD based on round capacity, and everyone's great reviews of Springfield Armory pistols, but it sounds like you are already trying to talk yourself out of that one.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

**** i really wish i could shoot them all before i purchase. ive shot a p226 9mm before and really liked the platform(just not the caliber) so that might also be why i like the sig so much. also which bbl would you recommend, 4" or 5". i really wish they made a 4.4 or similar.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
**** i really wish i could shoot them all before i purchase. ive shot a p226 9mm before and really liked the platform(just not the caliber) so that might also be why i like the sig so much. also which bbl would you recommend, 4" or 5". i really wish they made a 4.4 or similar.
I'm sure there are places in Houston where you can rent these pistols to test out.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Launching!

if i were in an armed security environment and needed a sidearm that had reliability and simplicity, i'd pick up a Glock G21 with nite sites.
after having one i love it, and i'd be a little sketchy of having a pistol cocked and locked and worry about getting her out of safety in a hostile environment.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Suprised you get to carry your own gun. Most security companies provide you with one and you cant carry your own personal gun.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say the xd.... But the HK is pure pimp ****....
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I'm sure there are places in Houston where you can rent these pistols to test out.
probably not the USP though, they are a little nice and $ to have laying around as a rental gun to let people beat the hell out of them.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
if i were in an armed security environment and needed a sidearm that had reliability and simplicity, i'd pick up a Glock G21 with nite sites.
after having one i love it, and i'd be a little sketchy of having a pistol cocked and locked and worry about getting her out of safety in a hostile environment.
XD is point and shoot just like the glocks, it has a passive grip and trigger safety. A little piece of metal pops up on the top of the slide when there is a bullet in teh chamber and a pin sticks out the back to let you know its cocked.

Ive got a XDSC 40 that I use for concealed carry and I love it. When the magazine starts get low it starts to get a little nose heavy but if youve shot the gun a lot you get used to it and it doesnt effect accuracy atleast for me. I love the grip, the way it feels, just about everything on it. My next purchase will be an XD 45 tactical for home defense. IMO you cant beat the XD line for price, comfort, reliability and just plain badassness, they work and everyone that owns one seems to love them.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
not a big fan of glock, but i'll shop around and compare just out of curiosity

Originally Posted by Quick
Suprised you get to carry your own gun. Most security companies provide you with one and you cant carry your own personal gun.
i am getting licensed through an academy that lets you qual with your own weapon, also the compnay i am looking at will let you carry your own gun if you qual'd with it. or at least thats what i've been told be a friend that used to work for them.

Originally Posted by had20z
I'd say the xd.... But the HK is pure pimp ****....
the HK is pretty ******* pimp.....and it fits nicely in my budget. but the XD's price tag is hard to beat.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
XD is point and shoot just like the glocks, it has a passive grip and trigger safety. A little piece of metal pops up on the top of the slide when there is a bullet in teh chamber and a pin sticks out the back to let you know its cocked.

Ive got a XDSC 40 that I use for concealed carry and I love it. When the magazine starts get low it starts to get a little nose heavy but if youve shot the gun a lot you get used to it and it doesnt effect accuracy atleast for me. I love the grip, the way it feels, just about everything on it. My next purchase will be an XD 45 tactical for home defense. IMO you cant beat the XD line for price, comfort, reliability and just plain badassness, they work and everyone that owns one seems to love them.
this is why i like metal frame guns, however polymer isn't necessarily a deal breaker. i guess i will just have to get used to it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am an HK man. my buddy that has an xd shot my HK and turned around and commented on how accurate it was.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
this is why i like metal frame guns, however polymer isn't necessarily a deal breaker. i guess i will just have to get used to it.
I like a polymer frame gun better for recoil feel, it doesnt feel as harsh and I find I can get the second shot on target quicker. With the higher capacity mag its not nearly as bad, I always carry the short mag for my concealed carry though.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

my personal opinion is the sig. ive owned a p229 that shot a .357 sig round and i loved it. it was a very reliable gun that never let me down. i had to carry it in some tough situations and i never once thought doubted having to use it. i shot thousands of rounds through it and it never jammed, misfired, etc. great gun in my opinion. as others have said though, go shoot them and see which one feels best to you. they are all quality weapons and in your line of work, second guessing your weapon is not an option.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my HK USP .45

Feels really good in my hands and it is dead accurate.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry an XD .45, and as far as I can tell, the M's shoot just as well or better than the regular ol XD's. I give my vote for the XD. I like the other 2, the XD just fits me better. Definitely try to shoot all 3, it's what feel best for you that's going to matter.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

As a retired LEO...Carried the 220 my whole career and loved it......Never shot a better balanced and reliable hand gun in my life.....
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Not to highjack the post but if anyone is looking for a glock model 22 RTF 40 cal. i need to get it gone. bought it new for a guy but he failed the background check so i'm stuck with it. pm me if interested. i am a FFL dealer
Thanks,

Quick Reply: SIG P220, XDM 45, or USP 45??