Sponsored by:

Newbie needs infomation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs infomation

Hi Guys
Its my first post here.

Im looking to use a LQ4or LQ9 L92 Truck engine in a project car, i just wanted to know if these engines are tuneable and are tuning parts available for them, like cams intakes etc.
What would be the best engine out of the 3 to go for? I would like 400+hp reliable power, it will be used with a manual transmission.

Can any you guys help please?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM

what is the maxium revs these engines will safely go too? would they pull 6000k rpms .
I have heard they have nodular iron cranks and rods are theses ok at 5500-6000 rpm?

Sorry guys im totally in the dark about these motors
Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Summit427
what is the maxium revs these engines will safely go too? would they pull 6000k rpms .
I have heard they have nodular iron cranks and rods are theses ok at 5500-6000 rpm?

Sorry guys im totally in the dark about these motors
All depends on your needs and your budget. I think the LQ4 would be the cheapest route. I picked mine up with accesories, harness and PCM all for $500. LQ9's are a bit more sought after due to the flat top pistons and increased comp ratio (LQ4's have a dished piston). Though there is no real way to tell the two apart unless you can see the tops of the pistons. Don't do what I did when I went to the junk yard. I told the guy I wanted a 6.0 liter truck engine and when I got home I saw the stamp on the block 4.8/5.3. The 6.0 blocks are stamped on the passenger rear, behind the flexplate and in the front drivers behind the accessories. Both LQ4 and LQ9 come with 317 heads. If you can afford an L92 I think that is your best bet for power potential due to the increased cubic inches and the L92 heads. The LQ4 and LQ9 blocks are cast iron and the L92 blocks are aluminum.

All these motors have the same cast nodular 3.622 stroke crank. The L92 gen IV engines will have a 58x reluctor wheel as opposed to the 24x of the gen III engines. There are people on here that are spinning these stock bottom ends upwards of 7000 RPM's. I would suggest rod bolt upgrade if your going to be getting up over 6000 RPM on a consistant basis. My crank is out of an 07 LS2, same cast nodular 3.622, I've had mine up over 7000 grand on more than a few occasions. These stock cranks are well made and can handle a lot of power/abuse.

Good luck, do some searching on here, this site is a wealth of info, as are the people and sponsors.

Last edited by 68 RS Convertible; 06-22-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs infomation