LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

68 Camaro LT-1 Retro Throwback timing help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Camaro LT-1 Retro Throwback timing help.

Hey All,
I'm almost done with my 68 Camaro with a 92 Corvette LT-1 Carbed. I need some help with the timing though. I've tried the old method of starting at TDC and then turning the dist. forward and back still can't get it. I've gone all the way to 50 degrees advanced and retarded with no luck.

I'm running a Holley 750 Vacuum Secondaries, MSD 6AL box and a ss Blaster coil, 525 lift cam with Crane 1.5 Gold Race roller rockers, LT-4 ported polished heads.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the opti block off plate which has a timing pointer built in, if so You should be able to set the timing. Also is your distributor vacuum advance or mechanical, if it's vacuum remember to plug the vacuum port on the distributor and carb then set the timing and reconnect the vacuum advance.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

We do have the block off plate with the mark and tried timing it with the light but it just wont click. The distributor is not a vacuum advance.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sectn8
We do have the block off plate with the mark and tried timing it with the light but it just wont click. The distributor is not a vacuum advance.
What do you mean it wont click? Does the engine turn with the starter and are you getting a light from the timming light?

The initial start up can be difficult with an untested carb and ignition.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Teching In

When i said it won't click i meant that the timing isn't right. I had it running and idling really rough and i can drive it but it's still off.

The Carb is brand new from Holley and all the ignition is brand new also.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well it's a good sign you got it running. If it's a hydraulic flat tappet cam I hope you got it broke it right. Anyway those brand new parts might be trouble right out of the box but you never know till you have it running right which you don't right now.

Timing: just getting started, very general rule of thumb, how hard is to start? Does it kick back, hard to crank, = too mucch advance.
Crank easy doesnt want to start? too retarded.
Once started set a fast idle and slowly advance it until its a little rough then retard it some. Check it with a timing light, normal idle speed at operating temp, make sure your on no 1 cyl or use no 6 to keep all your timming light wires on the same side with the battery.

Carb: Leave it alone for now other that idle adjust.

Valves: How did you adjust? From what you describe they may be too tight.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Running roller lifters and adjusted the valves zero lash then 3/4 turn.
I just got off the phone with Comp cams and found out my valve springs are too light, that might be the problem they said.

Slownova, what cam are you running? I got a 525 lift and am going to have to upgrade the springs.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Good deal on the roller lifters, I missed that it was a 92. Ok, next check for vacuum leaks and double check your spark plug wires for the correct firing order. hth
Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

how much are your throttle blades cracked on your base plate..that can play into it also..ive seen carbs come from places with them cracked a ton and then the blades not cracked at all..plays hell when your trying to get a new combo running..its best to zero out a carb and set everything yourself unless its coming from some one whos set it up for your combo already.

Quick Reply: 68 Camaro LT-1 Retro Throwback timing help.