Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much on average does it cost to paint the whole car?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much on average does it cost to paint the whole car?

Sup guys,

I'm making a list of "goals" lol, I was wondering how much it would cost to have my paint retouched, I just have tiny little rock chips here and there and the clearcoat on the rear bumper is starting to feel "rough" but it still looks great. So how much would it cost to have my whole car repainted the same color?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my new door to door paint job is going to cost $500-$600 in material.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Well now that I think about it, I just want the bumpers and doors touched up. The hood has new paint. Is there a way the body shop can just retouch the paint or do they just have to strip the paint and reapply? I don't know to much about body work?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most decent body shops will want to blend anything they paint, so if they paint the bumper, they will want to blend it into the hood and fenders. Price varies greatly depending on the shop and the quality. I got quoted 800 to repaint and blend my rear quarter panel and around 15k for repainting the entire car...but this was a bodyshop that puts out show cars.
When I had my hood painted and blended with fenders years ago, it was done for 600 at a different shop.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

you mean 1500 or 15,000? ^^^ ???!?!!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Typically with bumpers it's going to be hard to make new paint match old paint that's been out in the sun and has faded or discolored over time. I would do a full paint job so you will be more happy with the results. I don't k ow howmuch your looking at but I'd say expect maybe close to 4k or so? You get what you pay for. Don't get a MAACO paint job please!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
you mean 1500 or 15,000? ^^^ ???!?!!
I'm sure it's 15K
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its not 15,000................

I just picked up my Bright Red 98 WS6 TA yesterday....it got totally painted. Now the insurance company paid for a new front bumper that was hit like 1 year ago and fixed the side-swipe hit-and-run that happened 35 days ago. I had a $250 ded so insurance paid for painting of the front bumper, then the entire drivers side from front to back to fix the side-swipe. I also tossed in $1,000 extra for the painter to do the rest of the car, which is basically the other half, plus the hood. But he also fixed a little dent and re-did my door jams.
I had to because there was no way that new paint was going to match my 12-year old paint...so I wanted it all done new.

It looks ****** GREAT. So, I'm figuring this would have been about a $2,000 paint job alone...not the new front bumper and side-swipe repairs. He said something like, double clear, and it was something called PPG Concept Clear Coat.....can't quite remember.

Oh, he also threw in a CETA rear bumper paint scheme for no extra charge....charcoal grey metallic. Looks sweet.

I'll get pics up soon in a new thread.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Teching In

$15,000?!? Imagine paying 15,000 g for a paint job then that first piece of gravel launches into your fender on the highway.

I agree you can get a paint job you could live with for $2k and at the same time not be afraid to "drive" your car. As long as your car does not require extensive amounts of body work that is.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Launching!

dont expect to pay under $5000 for a "quality" paint job with minor body work. remember you get what you pay for. Theres alot of people that think a paint job shouldnt cost more than $1500, and i have people tell me that almost every day and i just cant help but laugh!! theres so much time in disassembly, body work, primer, sanding primer, sealer, paint, clear, wet sanding and buffing, assembly, and detailing. Some people dont relize what goes into a paint job. When you pay $1500 for a paintjob then someone is cutting some corners, because matierial alone is going to be close to that much.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of it depends on where you are as well. Paint jobs here in the south seem to be much cheaper than in the north. Labor is much cheaper here. I have been getting quotes for a repaint on mine, color change. Prices have been from $2000 - $3500, and that is with me doing the disassembly/reassembly myself, and me doing my own rattle-can job on the engine bay. I got a quote of $1000 for a respray of the original color. And these are reputable shops that regularly do frame-ups of show cars. One of the guys just painted a 71 Bird and he was invited to bring it to SEMA.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ReggieWarrenJr
dont expect to pay under $5000 for a "quality" paint job with minor body work. remember you get what you pay for. Theres alot of people that think a paint job shouldnt cost more than $1500, and i have people tell me that almost every day and i just cant help but laugh!! theres so much time in disassembly, body work, primer, sanding primer, sealer, paint, clear, wet sanding and buffing, assembly, and detailing. Some people dont relize what goes into a paint job. When you pay $1500 for a paintjob then someone is cutting some corners, because matierial alone is going to be close to that much.
Like I said above, I'm figuring my guy would have charged right at $2,000 for my paint job without any body work, maybe a little more....if the project was just prep work and paint it.

He had my hood, front bumper, side-view mirrors, rear bumper, rear side kick panels, side lower ground effects on both sides, both headlight covers and my rear spoiler....hanging in his paint booth like it was F-Body Sherwood Forerst. He also had every exterior piece that could come off...off the car, like the brake lights, ram air hood pieces, door handles, little plastic triangles behind each door glass, center brake light, 4 corner reflector lights, Trans Am emblems (got new ones), black rubber strip door mouldings, etc.......Everything was sanded and prepped quite throroughly all over the car. He documented it all with pictures throughout the 3 week project. It took 3 full weeks.

It looks MUCH better than the day I bought it off the showroom floor back in April 1998. The entire paint job is perfection.

He's just someone who doesn't rip people off. I went to a couple shops last year in my area and got stupid *** quotes of $4,000-$5,000....hilarious. I'm sure a paint job can be done better...for some reason, some how, but then you're talking overkill and a waste of money and time for any car that is driven daily. A useless trailored show might need something like that.

Can't remember exactly what he did with paint layers...but I think he said 2-3 coats of paint and double clear. PPG paint too, which I would think is at least one of the best out there......

Pretty damn good for ~$2,000......

Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Let me preface this by saying I know I am gonna get flamed for this statement lol. First off let's face it. Not everyone can afford 5k for a paint job. Second...Maaco's are independently owned. There are actually some good Maaco's in my area. They have such a horrible reputation because they will paint your car for $300.... base coat only... if you want them to. I have a 2003 Audi A6 that I bought dirt cheap because some woman side swiped a guard rail in it.....Four years ago I had it painted at Maaco in pawtucket R.I. for $1500 and that included body work
!!!! Base coat clear coat paint job as well.....If I am not mistaken it was called there signature series paint job....4 years later it still looks gorgeous. I know what you all are thinking but I promise you it's true.

So...all of you on a tight budget who's cars look like *** right now. Do not believe you have to pay 5k plus for a paint job that will look good and you will be happy with.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Teching In

i got quoted for 3k for paint with body work from a local shop and that was the cheapest around everyone else wanted 3500 for just paint so imma do it my self for 500 in paint and materials and if its messed up i can do it again and still save 2k and have fun doin it. like the posts above i dont have a show car and it never will be because i love to drive it so a run or two or some orangepeel is ok with me. i can cut and buff it out later anyway.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Well guys, let me just prove that $5,000+ paintjobs are complete screw jobs, rip-offs and just a bragging right to tell someone you paid through the nose for something that cost you triple what it should/could, for the same or better quality.

The measure of a quality piant job is the PERSON doing it and quality of paint used...NOT the amount you spend on it for bragging rights.

Perhaps the BEST painter on planet earth is Chris Cruz, he's lengendary. His shop is in Deland, Florida. I've seen his work, there's no way to do it any better, it cannot be done. He quoted me right at $3,000 for a complete paint job on my Trans Am and he said it will be the best possible paint job a human or machine can perform, period. When he gave me that price I was shocked, I expected him to say $6,000 or something stupid, considering who he is. He told me flat out, he simply doesn't have to rip people off to give them the best paint job possible. There's a level painters reach, and thats it, there's no more to it.

I wanted to have him paint my car....but my side-swipe changed it all and the insurance paid for it.....so....

http://www.chriscruz.com/

Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'll let you guys know tomorrow, i'm going to go to a body shop and get a quote for my 96.

I'm going to get it quoted two ways:

1) front bumper,rear bumper, ss spoiler
2) all #1, plus hood fenders change over to 98+. at that point they'll want to blend the doors so the only thing that wouldn't get painted would be quarters, so #2 may end up being a full respray quote. this will be same color, polo green.

I'll post up my quotes tomorrow. going to chevy dealership.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by merim123
i'll let you guys know tomorrow, i'm going to go to a body shop and get a quote for my 96.

I'm going to get it quoted two ways:

1) front bumper,rear bumper, ss spoiler
2) all #1, plus hood fenders change over to 98+. at that point they'll want to blend the doors so the only thing that wouldn't get painted would be quarters, so #2 may end up being a full respray quote. this will be same color, polo green.

I'll post up my quotes tomorrow. going to chevy dealership.
The last place you should ever go for paint and body work is a dealership.....they suck compared to private shops. They go through paint and body guys like the wind blows. Plus...they are incredible rip-offs.

You need to simply ask around and find a few private paint and body shops around town that have good reps.

You should get the highest prices for the worst quality...at the dealerships.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Launching!

the labor rates must just be high here because there is no way i could paint a car for less than $4000, The cost of mateirials alone is 1000-1500, there is no way i can get by doing $2000 jobs. Even the wam bam throw em together collision shops around here wont do a full paint job for under $4000 and they dont even wetsand and buff them!!! The shop that i work at we spend hours and hours blocking to make sure its strait, and we wetsand and buff to perfection. The finish of the paint job can make or break the whole job. There is absolutly no orangle peel or graininess in our finishes, and that because we spend the extra time to make things the best we can.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
The last place you should ever go for paint and body work is a dealership.....they suck compared to private shops. They go through paint and body guys like the wind blows. Plus...they are incredible rip-offs.

You need to simply ask around and find a few private paint and body shops around town that have good reps.

You should get the highest prices for the worst quality...at the dealerships.

I came across this dealer based on a recommendation, so I'm going to talk to them. After the conversation on the phone, they were more than willing to be flexible (let me take parts on/off,etc...) so who knows what they'll want,but I'll find out.

As for finding a private shop, that's been really hard in my general area. i don't want to drive 75 miles either. In Chicagoland, most of the body shops I've visited, are collision shops, so it's all about in/out by the book with them. When i go ask questions, they quote me like insurance is paying. The other guys I've found do paint custom, but then they are doing show quality stuff, which equals $$$$.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ReggieWarrenJr
the labor rates must just be high here because there is no way i could paint a car for less than $4000, The cost of mateirials alone is 1000-1500, there is no way i can get by doing $2000 jobs. Even the wam bam throw em together collision shops around here wont do a full paint job for under $4000 and they dont even wetsand and buff them!!! The shop that i work at we spend hours and hours blocking to make sure its strait, and we wetsand and buff to perfection. The finish of the paint job can make or break the whole job. There is absolutly no orangle peel or graininess in our finishes, and that because we spend the extra time to make things the best we can.
My guy spent the last few days he had my car doing the sanding and buffing. I was delayed a day because he said he got held up and needed one more day to finish the buffing.

I guess it really is just a big difference in labor rates from the south USA to the north USA. I wouldn't have thought it was really THAT big of a difference though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much on average does it cost to paint the whole car?