General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help with 97 WS6 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with 97 WS6 transmission

I have a 97 WS6 with an automatic transmission. We've had the car for about 3 months now. Recently the transmission started kicking extremely hard. At first it started between 1st and 2nd. Sometimes kicking so hard it feels like the dang thing is coming through the floor. It usually does it after you take off fast or after long road trips. But now its getting worse and doing it more frequently and seems like its starting to shift harder between the rest of the gears. The check engine light came on yesterday. I haven't had the codes read yet. My husband posted on another forum and was told it could be the U joints. He changed the U joints bc the rear one was broke. We thought we had fixed the problem but evidently not bc its kicking just as bad as before. What could this be from. I need to get it fixed before something major happens. I know CRAP about cars and my husband has only worked with manuals and being in the military he doesn't have much time to tinker with it right now anyway. PLEASE any suggestions!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Thank you
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

does it feel like a bang coming from the floor board? if so its probly the transmission mount. thats a easy fix. but if not id say take it to a trans shop
Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I just took the car to Advance and did the check engine light test. It came back with the code P1870. The guy said it had something to do with the transmission. My husbands at work so I haven't had a chance to tell him what it was. I'm anxious to know what this code is. What does it mean and how can I find out more information about it?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Launching!

P1870 indicates transmission component slippage. Where I don't know.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

did you ever figure out what was up?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Not yet. After doing research my husband thinks it could have something to do with the valve body? He ordered a part off of transmissioncenter.net on Friday. Hopefully it will come in before Weds. bc we have a 9 hour trip home that we have to make. UGH!

Once again yesterday when I first drove it, it worked fine. Then after about an hr of driving/stopping and going it started shifting hard into the gears again. My husband said it doesn't sound like its slipping, just a hard slam. The worst being between first and second. Could it have something to do with the valve body?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Launching!

I would guess it could. If it for some reason caused a high fluid pressure during shifts, that would cause hard shifts. But I'm no expert on automatics. I prefer manuals. Only two things can go wrong with those. Clutch or synchros!!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the check engine light still on? The transmission will receive full line pressure (and shift hard) when the CEL is on for a hard code, just an FYI. You could be chasing your tail thinking it has something to do with the trans when in fact it is an entirely different problem.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Yeah the check engine light is still on. I'm so lost. Errrr I guess we will see when the part gets in.