Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need to make a choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to make a choice

Hey guys, I have two options here and I can't seem to figure out what to do. Everyone here seems to be very helpful and quite knowledgeable, so I figured I'd ask the community for an opinion.

So I have $4000 in my pocket right now.
I also have a '98 Firebird TransAm (LS1) with an A4 transmission and 75k miles.
I test drove a manual one just like mine (98) that is for sale and I fell in love with it. The car I test drove does need some work, it needs a paint job and it needs some small work in the interior, but the engine appears to be in good shape. It also has 120k miles. Also, I was offered an M6 for my car for $800.

So my options are:
1 - Purchase the car I found for sale ($4000), then sell my current car (which is in mint condition and already has some under-the-hood work) and have quite a bit of extra money in my pocket.
2 - Keep my current car and do a transmission swap, which appears to be quite a tedious process, in which I would probably have to have a shop do most of the work. The benefit of this option is that I would be using my car which has low miles and is in excellent shape.

Any advice or suggestion are much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep your car. since you know the history of it. m6 swap isnt hard at all
Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

800$ M6!? If that includes EVERYTHING then I would worry about the trans. If it's trans/bellhousing, you still need a bunch of stuff. So there is the cost you need to account for. Not to mention that you expect to have someone else do the job for you.

I pick #1 based on your explaination and seemingly uneager to do the job yourself for the M6 Swap.