Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions about a cam and a cam swap on a ls1

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions about a cam and a cam swap on a ls1

Ok I know alot about cam stuff for an lt1, but im kinda new to the ls1. I know the best cam for an lt1 with stock heads is the cc503. So I have some different questions about cam swaps on an ls1. What I am seeing is that a cam swap looks much easier on an ls1 than on an lt1.

1. From what I have been reading I think I have seen that the best cam for a stock head ls1 is the ms3? (Plz correct me if im wrong).

2. there a device for ls1's like a rod type thing that you insert into a hole in the block that holds the lifters up so you don't have to pull the heads. Right?

3. On my lt1, when I pulled the timing cover off I ripped the oil pan gasket because it comes up and seals the bottom part of the timing cover. So is the ls1 the same way? From what i seen on the ls1hot.com cam and valve spring swap, I am seeing that unlike the lt1 you do not have to replace the oil pan gasket. Is the right?

4. There is no optispark in the way and you don't have to hook it on and make sure its connected right and all that other b.s. So this should also make it way easier.

I just thought I would post up and see if my knoledge about the swap is correct or if im off. Seeing how much easier an ls1 looks to do a cam swap on really makes me want to do one, but I will probably wait another year If you guys have anymore info about the wap plz chime in and let me know. This just looks so much easier to do than an lt1. Let me know if you guys agree

Last edited by z99ls1; 06-24-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
this should help you a lot and answer most of ur questions

there is no "best" cam for everyone everyone thinks some are best and so arnt its all personal choice

and no you dont need a oil pan gasket just high temp rtv
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best cams for a ls1 ,custom cam from EPS.you can use a 3/16 metal or wood long rod to hold the lifters up.ls1howto.com.

Last edited by garygnu; 06-24-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: more infor
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Restricted User

Whats the biggest cam for stock heads? Btw I just realized that this is not the internal section
Old 06-24-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Cam choice is subjective, and there are endless threads on here about what is "best". And there are many many options. It all depends on your short term and long term goals for the car.

2. Correct, but use at your own risk. Some have still had lifters drop with the rods. Maybe they didn't use the right size... I haven't tried this method.

3. The timing cover comes off independant of the pan. You don't need to drop the pan unless you plan to change the oil pump or the timing gears. Most people swap out both while they are in there. In this case you have to drop the front of the pan, but in most cases the seal back up without any problem.

4. No opti-spark is correct. The ignition is all "plug and play".
Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you don't want the biggest cam ,you want the best cam for your combination.look into a TSP cam kit,and buy a good converter.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Teching In

As for question 2, you can rotate the cam 360 degrees in block after the timing chain is off and the lifters should technically stay in there trays.

I did this with my cam swap and it was kinda russian roulette in my opinion cause i almost had a lifter fall down when i was installing the cam, although i managed to save it.

I have heard another method using 8 pen extendable magnets to hold the lifter in place. Just another option to consider