Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer program options for 5.3l swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Computer program options for 5.3l swap?

These are the options offered by spareecm on ebay. It includes the pcm with the tune for around $150 shipped. Seems like a decent price, speak up if it isn't since im always up for saving money!

- 2001 - 2003 LS1 Operating System Installed
- Eliminate VATS (vehicle anti-theft system)
- Rear O2 Sensors Delete
- Fan 1 Temperature On and Off Changed
- Fan 2 Temperature On and Off Changed
- Axle Ratio Changed
- Tire Size Changed
- Top MPH Raised
- RPM Limit Raised
- A/C Deleted
- EGR Deleted
- Air Pump Deleted
- Fuel Tank Pressure Sensors Delete
- Disable Torque Management (with automatic)
- Disable Skip Shift (with 6-speed manual)

I was going to have all the VATS, O2, A/c, EGR, Airpump, Fuel Tank pres, done.

My first question is if im only going to run one fan, what temp should it come at? My radiator is a PRC Performance Rod & Custom Aluminum Radiator, and its going into a 33 ford so its not the biggest radiator, but is supposedly rated for 400hp. If space alows me to, i might run a fan infront and behind the radiator, what would be a good second temp?

RPM/speed limit: What can a stock 5.3 rpm max at? Speed i will set to 150, but never plan to get that far. I will retune once i modify the motor.

Next What is skip shift???

Lastly, are there any software tweaks that will get a little more hp out of a 5.3 w/ ls1 flash?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost seems too good to be true.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A board member msg'ed me about the same options with pcm for less! Im sure he wouldn't mind the business unless thats banned to mention because of sponsors?

If it is i won't say anything, if it isn't i'll post his name! Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Let me know what you end up doing, I am building an 87 p/u with a 5.3 in it and am modifying the harness and tuning the computer myself. I already have HP tuners though...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x

My first question is if im only going to run one fan, what temp should it come at? My radiator is a PRC Performance Rod & Custom Aluminum Radiator, and its going into a 33 ford so its not the biggest radiator, but is supposedly rated for 400hp. If space alows me to, i might run a fan infront and behind the radiator, what would be a good second temp?
My '33 Ford has a copper brass Walker radiator and it cools my Ls1 great with only one fan, even with the A/C on. An aluminum radiator should work even better so I wouldn't bother with the second fan. It probably wont fit in front of the radiator anyway, and would most likley block more air than you want. I'm using the low speed cooling fan wire in the harness because that's the fan that comes on first. I can't remember what temp I had it programmed to come on, but I think it's somewhere around 185-190.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

I know Brendan at Lt1swap.com offers a simular service for $75 shipped.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like alot of ppl do this. I would do it myself if i had hp tuners or efi live. Too much $$ to spend right now.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
Let me know what you end up doing, I am building an 87 p/u with a 5.3 in it and am modifying the harness and tuning the computer myself. I already have HP tuners though...
Hey man where in MA are you. I wouldn't mind checking out another project, where are you at in your build?

That way i can see what im forgetting!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
My '33 Ford has a copper brass Walker radiator and it cools my Ls1 great with only one fan, even with the A/C on. An aluminum radiator should work even better so I wouldn't bother with the second fan. It probably wont fit in front of the radiator anyway, and would most likley block more air than you want. I'm using the low speed cooling fan wire in the harness because that's the fan that comes on first. I can't remember what temp I had it programmed to come on, but I think it's somewhere around 185-190.
Do you have a build thread or pictures??? And i thought i was going to be unique with an LS '33
Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I used spareecm, worked like a champ, plugged it in and it fired up. He will set whatever you want, just call him.

Fans depend on what stat you run, and where you want your engine to operate. I have a 160 stat, and fan set to come on at 175.....

Again, RPM based on your setup, cam, crank, rods etc......stock setting is around 6,200 I think, might be wrong.

Yes there are many other "tweaks" you can do to make it run better, timing being just one of them.

T,
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i've spoken to a few others about spareecm, but for the price theres alot of other guys around doing it for half!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Do you have a build thread or pictures??? And i thought i was going to be unique with an LS '33
I don't have a build thread, I built the car before I had a digital camera so all my pictures are actual pictures. I do have pics of it done though, it's the car in my avatar. Been driving it for a little over three years, and it's got about 35,000 miles on it.

Do you have any pics of your car? Are you going to do a build thread?
Attached Thumbnails Computer program options for 5.3l swap?-000061-.jpg   Computer program options for 5.3l swap?-000064-.jpg  
Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great! I wish i could afford a real steel body, but for my first rod and second project car i can't complain. Build it till its drivable and enjoy is my plan, then once the winter comes i'll start working on finishing it more.

Im going to do a thread, but i've been more concerned with getting it done! Im still parts hunting, and learning about ls engine's/t56's. And hot rodding/car building in general.

My body is from a kit that i bought third hand. And frame was from a 40's chevy, that had a gm 10bolt and parallel leafs up front. Up to now i've fit a c4 vette irs and ifs, and mounted the motor. Today i got the body back on the frame with the motor mounted and it fits great, except that i need coilovers to lower the front properly, and that my truck pan is a couple inches from the ground.

A build thread is coming, won't be till i maybe get my motor running, but when it does it will have a kicka$$ first post!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

I am in Sutton, MA. I just picked up the motor and truck this past week. I am going to start actually wrenching on it this weekend.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So i still havent boughten my ECU, and have a few last questions.

If anyone knows reputable tuners that can do a quick mail tune, including the ecu. I will use spareecm unless i find someone cheaper but still reputable.

Second, how well will the 5.3 run with an ls1 tune? I also might throw my ls6 cam/springs/ pr in now, is it worth it to tune for that?

Quick Reply: Computer program options for 5.3l swap?