Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel tanks and fuel filters

Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fuel tanks and fuel filters

Hello,

Got a gas tank and fuel filter from a 1996 GM B body. I am installing a LS1 into an older Impala. Will I need a different fuel pump or will the pump from this work?

I have part number 25028954 from the pump harness.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leon phelps
Hello,

Got a gas tank and fuel filter from a 1996 GM B body. I am installing a LS1 into an older Impala. Will I need a different fuel pump or will the pump from this work?

I have part number 25028954 from the pump harness.

Thanks for any insight.
You should be fine but you can purchase a Granneli kit that comes with a 255 walbro pump from Summit $125... I have been using it with no problems so far...
Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check out Racetronix. they have B-Body kit that includes a Walbro 255 pump, wiring harness for the tank. Heavy gague harness that connects to the alternator and had connection and relays. very nice kit.

I am using a B-Body tank in my Chevelle and am using the Racetronix kit.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Launching!

What exactly are extra in the Granneli and Racetronix kits?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Granatelli is the basic 255lph pump that was originally intended for Mustangs, but with a longer EFI rubber connection line and wire connectors it can be adapted to just about any vehicle with some thoughtful fabrication work. There is nothing wrong with this kit, it fits most cars and offers a nice price.

The Racetronix is a premium kit made for a true drop-in OEM style installation, no splicing, no rubber fuel hoses and no guesswork. If the B-body kit is anything like their F-body kits, it will also come with a B-body wiring harness to connect into the stock power wire (and alternator) which activates a relay. This makes it possible to have available true alternator voltage for the fuel pump, instead of the 12 or so volts the B-body harness has over the length of the stock harness. Count on paying double the Walbro price, but in my experience installing both - it is well worth the increase.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

A few plus's of the Racetronix kit is that it uses the B-body sender and pickup.. most likely your Impala fuel gauge is of the same ohm range (0-90ohms), this allow you to keep your stock fuel gauge (or aftermarket).

There is also a bulkhead connection option, take this option. The OEM one is very weak. I had a lot of problem of fuel shut off until I took out the sender and look at the connection. it was not a very tight/secure one and it had been arcing and was black from all from the connection being loose. I fixed it after finding this.

It all bolted up and worked great. Only issue I had, is that you have to order through one of there authorized dealers. there direct ordering doesn't seem to work.

http://www.racetronix.com/RX-BLT1-FPKG.html
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Launching!

I am a little confused here. Do Lt1's and Ls1's work on different pressure. I see lots of posts here that say different amounts. Some say Lt's work on 42 and others say that they work on 50.

I have been looking on ebay and they say these walbro pumps work at 42 psi at 13.6v.

I need to splice into my harness since it is a swap, so I am not too sure I need the kit described as the granatelli one.

Do the aftermarket kits work well?

Thanks for any help clarifying.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you plan on doing anything but keeping it stock, id recommend the racetronix unit. f bodies are pretty fuel-starved from the factory, and that one unit (that came w the car) still supports the ~500 rwhp my ls2/3 setup makes
Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes.. LT1 are like 42psi (maybe more?).. and Gen III/IV engines require 57psi. You make be able to get it started, but you wouold end up starving it or it would die with the LT1 rated pump
Old 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Launching!

thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Launching!

got my pump in today. It was the standard walbro 255. In the 96 tank, you just cut out the old hose and remove the top nipple. My kit came with the plastic hose. After two hours I gave up and just used the fuel hose in the kit and not the extra one. Uses hose clamps, so is life.

waiting for the filter/regulator now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel tanks and fuel filters