Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was hoping not be in a 'car wont start' thread, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was hoping not be in a 'car wont start' thread, but...

We'll.. After a year and a half of blood, sweet and tears, tonight I was finally ready to hit the key for the first time on my '69 Camaro - LS1 swap.. Dad was over, beers on ice, video camera locked and loaded, kids in their Sunday best.. I hit the key, but the friggin car would not start... :-( Initial problem is, I can't seem to get any fuel pressure??

Heres the scenario:
harness and cpu modified by Speartech
new 42lb injectors
new speed inc billet fuel rails with autometer pressure gauge
new Tanks Inc, in tank walbro fuel pump set-up in new stock tank
3/8 braided primary fuel lines and 5/16 return to '98 vette regulator
1/2 tank of gas

I turn the key forward two clicks and the red check engine light next to the diagnostic port lights up and stays on.. Fuel pump runs for about 2-3 seconds and then shuts off. But not even a flicker on the pressure gauge..

I tried to bleed the air off the billet rails by removing an end-cap. I could get fuel to the rails by hot-wiring the pump (so it would run longer) and blowing compressed air in the fuel tank filler neck numerous times.. Fairly confident I have most of the air out of the system, but I just cannot get it to build any pressure? The car did build 60psi of oil pressure, which I was relieved to see, but no fuel pressure..?

Additional notes: I am running the cars wiring to the starter, not the LS wire harness wires.. Also using the cars clutch safety switch wire, so the LS harness clutch safety switch wires is not connected to anything.. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything..??

Dad thought maybe I had the fuel pump wired up backwards, but it appears to be right? I have the + going to the terminal with the nylon isolator to keep from grounding.. I would think if it was wired up backwards it would blow a fues, but I guess I dont know for sure?

Any ideas why I might not be getting any fuel pressure, or any ideas on what to try? Sure appreciate any help... Thanks, Jason

Old 06-24-2010, 09:34 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Maybe crossed feed and return at fuel filter? The more central fitting on the inlet side is the return (5/16"), while the one towards the edge (3/8") is the supply from fuel pump. It is marked wrong in a few pics that I've seen.

Also, it is a 99+ Vette Filter you need, the 98 is straight through from what I remember with no regulator inside.

BTW, very nice picture and car from what I can tell!

Last edited by -Joseph-; 06-24-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Maybe crossed feed and return at fuel filter? The more central fitting on the inlet side is the return (5/16"), while the one towards the edge (3/8") is the supply from fuel pump. It is marked wrong in a few pics that I've seen.

Also, it is a 99+ Vette Filter you need, the 98 is straight through from what I remember with no regulator inside.

BTW, very nice picture and car from what I can tell!
Really!!?? I think I have the feed running to the center fitting and return running to the one at the edge, but I was pretty sure the center inlet was the 3/8" and the one at the outer edge was 5/16? Have to double check now?? Maybe it is a '99+?? I read a gazillion threads on here before I specd and purchased all my fuel stuff?? Hope so anyway..!! Thanks for the nice complment!!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 PM

99-03 is the one. It sure sounds like its swapped, I'm looking at one on my desk and the central located one is def. 5/16" and the return. It's easy to do with AN stuff, especially if you looked at one of those mis-marked pics.

Have any other pics of the build?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Launching!

99-03 is the one. It sure sounds like its swapped, I'm looking at one on my desk and the central located one is def. 5/16" and the return. It's easy to do with AN stuff, especially if you looked at one of those mis-marked pics.

Have any other pics of the build?

DUDE!~ You are my hero!!! You were exactly right! I went out and confirmed what you said.. Simple swap and she built 55-57 psi or so and lit on the first crack of the key! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! On to my next problem I gues!! lol... My DBW pedal seems to be unresponsive?? Any idea what could cause that? She idles high too.. 1500-1700. Pedal does nothing. Thanks again Bud.. I will sleep great tonight! I am very close now!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 PM

Glad that it was an easy fix! It had to be a high-five moment when it fired up for sure!

What are the details of the ECM, harness and DBW pedal? I know Speartech helped with the engine harness but did he say which pedal and such to use? Some of the other guys might be able to help with that if I can't. I'd make sure everything is connected good and if all else fails, John is a wiring guru he can probably point you at what to test.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Glad that it was an easy fix! It had to be a high-five moment when it fired up for sure!

What are the details of the ECM, harness and DBW pedal? I know Speartech helped with the engine harness but did he say which pedal and such to use? Some of the other guys might be able to help with that if I can't. I'd make sure everything is connected good and if all else fails, John is a wiring guru he can probably point you at what to test.
I'm using the ECM, tac module, DBW pedal and wiring harness all from the same '04 corvette that the motor came out of.. I'll double check my connections tonight and maybe give John a bump.. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Nice car!! Engine looks clean, I like. You got any build pics and more pics of the car? Glad to hear you got it to fire, bet that felt good.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS2 67GTO
Nice car!! Engine looks clean, I like. You got any build pics and more pics of the car? Glad to hear you got it to fire, bet that felt good.
Thanks for the nice compliments.. Now if I can just get the DBW pedal to work!! hahaha.. I've got a few older pics I can post - havent been taking too many pics lately - too busy wrenching!! These are back when she was still running a SBC with a carbon maker!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Beauty
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW, one day i'll try to build one like that! I figure while im young with no kids i can roll around in a roadster. Eventually i'll need a back seat tho. Regardless looks great, did you buy in in that shape and just do the swap, or restore from the beginning?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
WOW, one day i'll try to build one like that! I figure while im young with no kids i can roll around in a roadster. Eventually i'll need a back seat tho. Regardless looks great, did you buy in in that shape and just do the swap, or restore from the beginning?
Thanks Marcello.. You are dead on about the kids! My wife spit out triplets about halfway through my build and my project all but came to a screetchin hault for two years!!!! They are 5 now and I just started working on the motor swap a year or so ago.. The body and paint was done when I bought the car, but I have pretty much stripped it to bare bones.. All new interior, dash and gauges, tko-500 trans, brakes, sway bars, lowering springs all around. wheels, tires, bumpers, all trim and badges,etc.. It's been a lot of work, but a labor of love..

Quick Reply: I was hoping not be in a 'car wont start' thread, but...