General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help, 911 starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, 911 starter?

When I goto start the car there is a decent loudness pop. cant tell if its an electrical pop or a really loud switch. its seems to either be inside the car or under it. car wont start. (after about 5 attempts with the pop if I just hold the key over in the start position it would fire up and be fine. turn it off and on it fires up fine again.) I had the battery checked, its good, connections are solid. pulled terminals off battery and hooked up to a volt meter and it didnt beep so im not lead to believe its a short. any ideas? this is my work car and I need it up and going strong. thanks!

also if its the starter.. how do I remove it?

edit, all lights and radio come on. there is only 1 pop. not multiple.

new symptom just happening, now the radio is not coming on. i tried switching out the relay/fuse thingy under the hood, traded the fan #1 over to igntition (i think, its burnt out so i cant really read it) and starter fuse relay thingy, same issue
Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

check the connections at the starter.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM

update!

I'm not declaring it fixed but after this it started fine 3 times, further testing will show

I pulled the starter and ran it to auto zone. they checked it twice and it passed fine. so I brought it home with some brushes and used the stainless steel one on all the leads from the battery and the bolts, all of it. first connection of it and mounting resulted in when i connected the battery the car tried to start on its own. so I un mounted it again, saw where i might have not but a lead in right. (the positive one that has the l shape thing on it) re-mounted it, connected battery fine and it fired right up 3 times in a row. so not officially fixed. but hopefully the problem wont come back.