LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

air/fuel guage question

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air/fuel guage question

i was looking at a air/fuel guage that taps into the o2 wiring. How can this be accurate? When you watch a o2's readings they are all over the place when working properly, so how can you just throw a gage on one and get a solid reading?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

It won't be accurate. It will be as floppy as your narrow-bands. Get a wide-band setup. That will give you an accurate A/F reading.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

ok, i grabbed one from work to see if it was at all, but don't know if i even want to istall it. Would'nt it just tell me where the blm is?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much will only give you a visual idea when you go open/closed loop, if at WOT if you are going slightly rich, and if you have a failed o2 sensor on the one you tapped into.

One of the companies that makes widebands has some kit that makes narrowband gauges into widebands, but I never really heard of anyone using this. You wouldn't have numbers still of course but at least it wouldn't give your passengers seizures. I'm thinking of going this route, as I really didn't know any better years ago, so yeah I have a autometer narrowband in the car.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm, I knew better years ago but I got it for the light show
Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah not me, I wish I had found LS1tech years ago! I made a few errors early on in my cars life, like BBK shorties, flowmaster catback, etc.... I'd be much faster today if I had done my homework earlier. Oh yeah I had gone with a body mount torque arm too, dealt with BANG-CLANK! for about 5 years before going back to a long style arm.

Yeah I suppose its something to look at on those FL to PA drives I seem to make at least once a year.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Hahaha we all have had our fair share of mistakes. I have a few epic ones of my own. I personally have a jegsters body-mounted TA and I love it.. But it's a completely different setup than the one you had (assuming its not a jegster). More power to ya if you drive that thing from FL to PA often! That's awesome! The most my car would see is Davie/Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville (and that was the previous owner!). Now it's lucky if it sees a few miles on US-1 per week.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I'm flying this summer as its going to be cheaper, but my family is up there so I usually drive, straight through. To make it more fun I have a Wolfe six point bar in the car and a Corbeau Forza seat. I put a pillow in the seat around Virgina as my legs can't take me sitting so low in the seat at that point. Also a fairly loud trip as I have a single 4" bullet dumped. Last summer was really bad as I lost 5th and 6th gear, so you can imagine doing 75mph in 4th gear from around the top of GA down to a hour North of Tampa.

Next trip should be nicer though, like I said I replaced a short Spohn arm with a long Spohn arm and the relocation bracket, so the car beats me up less now.

When I got out of the Navy back in 06 I drove it CA to PA then a few weeks later PA to FL. Granted then I had stock seats, 3" catback, no roll bar. Still had that Spohn torque arm, I actually shook the bolts loose that hold the panhard rod on, my friend that was following in his turbo Civic pulled up beside me and was waving all frantic. Pulled over and thankfully I had my tools and some spare bolts with me!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Holy crap hahah That's awesome
Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

so are the narrow band guages just flopping around all the time? lol it just does not seem like they would work at all. I just wanted to be able to see when my car finally goes stoich after running pig rich and sounding like its cammed because of my tune from mad z28, a simple bolt on tune is not so simple i guess. It sounds like its cammed untll its good and warm.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Give Solomon a try at: www.lt1pcmtuning.com

He does great work and is much cheaper than the rest.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

his stuff looks good, im gunna give him a try. I cant stand how the only time my car runs right is when it wot and warm, other than that its just depressing.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm. Weird that you're having issues. Ion usually does great work. When my car was still a 93 harness/pcm I had both a Madz28 and PCMforless tune. Both worked great. Solomon is aiding me in tuning my car that is now a 94+ harness/pcm, and it runs great. Just a few bugs need to be tweaked out at WOT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air/fuel guage question