General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Issue

Long story short:

Stock short block. Heads and cam and bolt ons.

Ran the car a few weeks ago. A/C belt broke going down the track. Replaced it the next day and it started squeaking LOUD. Sprayed A/C compressor clutch and pulley with WD40 and squeak stopped for a few seconds. Had an extra compressor lying around so I swapped them out. Squeaking continued!

Changed tensioner pulley and belt but same thing. Took the car to the track last night and it squealed all the way down the 1320. Now A/C compressor clutch won't spin or engage. AND, it stops squeaking after about 10 minutes of driving.

Anyone got any ideas what killed my compressor? Only things I haven't changed out are the idler pulley (when sprayed with WD40 didn't stop the squeak) and the actual tentioner itself.

The place I took the car to to have the used compressor refilled with 134 only put in two cans of the stuff. Is there some kind of oil that needs to be added or something?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

You need a new compressor clutch, probably not the whole compressor. The clutch bearing died.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
You need a new compressor clutch, probably not the whole compressor. The clutch bearing died.

But what caused it to go out? Is it related to the squeaking? I don't want to put my other compressor on there if it's going to get jacked up too.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

It's a sealed bearing with no outside lubrication, and has the same life expectancy of any other bearing like it. You don't need to change the compressor, just the clutch. For my '96, a new clutch is $80 at AutoZone. You'll also have to rent the special puller to get it off.
If the clutch bearing siezes, the belt will still run over the pulley regardless of whether that pulley is turning or not....so it squeals....a lot. You'll need a new belt, too.