Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 lq4 t56

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 lq4 t56

Bought an 85 notch for 1000 from a close friend of mine right before I left for Iraq. Rust free car, just missing the rear axle. 10 point cage, subframe connectors, and a manual stearing rack. The car is silver, and I think I might keep it that way. Throw a set of black FR500 rims with a chrome or polished lip on it.

Looking at spending up to 14000 total on the build, and I'm just under 6k as it sits. Only need about 1500 worth of parts to get it running and driving.

Purchased an LQ4 w/trans for 900 with everything but the ecu. Also purchased a son of transila t56 for 3740 shiped, 500 miles, with most the hydrolic parts needed for the swap. Included where clutch, and bellhousing.

Currently have 2 85's, with the other being a hatch. Planning on selling it when I get home come spring time. No pics at the moment, will get some soon.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Teching In

Planning on buying the AJE k member with mounts, and buying the lower controle arms. Kooks headers with 1 7/8" primaries, and a 3" collector. Custom 3" with electric exhaust cutouts and 40 series mufflers.

Shooting for 450 wheel starting.

Questions I have are about what parts interchange out between the lsx series? I was thinking of running l92 heads, but what intake would I have to run? I plan on keeping it EFI just for the hell of it. It'd be the first efi car I've owned in the past 5...

Cam suggestions? The nastier, the better!

Heads would get milled down, and possibly ported and polished. Not going to monkey around with the internals till the fallowing year when she turns into a 408 setup with a different block.

I plan on swapping out to a car intake also. I know I'll need the intake, injectors and fuel rails. Which setup do you guys suggest?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

I remember watching an episode of horsepower tv and they used a set of l92 heads with an ls3 intake I believe and they put out almost 600hp at the crank I'm sure if you searched youtube you could find it and that was with no head work
Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Sounds good to this guy!!! With the car gutted, she should fly.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice!! do you have the heads yet?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Trying to find a set as I type... The heads are going to get ported, polished, and milled down a bit. Not sure on just how much yet. I've gota do more research to see what I can get away with so the valves don't hit...
Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get ahold of See5 on here. He sells complete sets. I bought mine complete with rockers and all for $530 shipped
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Havn't updated this in a long time but the project has taken a turn from NA to boost. I have over 9k into this car already and it's not even rolling yet.

AJE Racing tubular k-member, tubular front lower control arms, tubular rear control arms uppers are adjustable, t-56 cross member, ls style motor mounts and coil overs for the front. $2000.00 suspension package that I picked up for $1619.00 shipped thanks to military discount and a 10% off sale on packages AJE had going on.

Still need to get caster camber plates so i can finish mounting the coil overs. Then it will be time to put the front on the ground. Screw that old metal barn door...

Texas Speed magic stick 3: 237/242 .603"/.609" 112 LSA cam for $160. Now I just need the valve train parts to handle it, LS6 intake and LS1 oil stuff to drop the motor in.

Some random pictures of things in it:

Lincoln Continental 8.8 rear end with ranger axles will have to work for now. Still need to figure out how I'm going to flip the caliper brackets so I can run the bigger calipers. Lincoln axle is the farther one back. Front one is an axle I shortened for this project but decided to go in another direction.

VI-king double adjustable coilovers for the rear:

Swapped a few things out the other day while waiting for the upper mounts to get the rear coil overs in:

And that's how the project sits at the current moment. Hoping to get the mounts in the mail tomorrow and get all 4 corners on the ground with the wheels on.

Still need to figure out where the steering column mounts since the PO gutted the car before I bought it. Luckily he's a good friend and will be over to help try to figure it out.

I won't know for sure until my friend makes it to town but he claims to have an almost new S475 sold to me for $250. He got it in a large amount of parts type of deal.

Thanks to Denmah's turbo parts thread I should have this car driving before next winter if not running at the least.

Quick Reply: 85 lq4 t56