General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Few questions O_O

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions O_O

Alright, so my car is starting to misfire in 6th gear when I give it alot of gas. I had a wire melt against the manifold, cracking the distributor cap, and killing the ignition module. Replaced both of those, (not the whole opti, I'm going to do that soon). I didn't replace the plug that wire went to though, I'm gonna replace all my plugs and wires again just for the hell of it, putting on E3 plugs instead of the crap bosch's I've got.

Other problem is the car won't start now, it doesn't turn over, and it smokes from the passenger side. It's not the starter, I just checked that, it's not the wires to the battery, or the fuses. I've got a brand new ignition module (5000 miles old), I don't know what else could be the problem.

Also, how would you change the A/C clutch/rotor, I can probably figure it out, but yah. I know it's bad because it was screaming like a sonofabitch for a long time. Finally stopped.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The AC clutch requires a special puller. Is your misfire problem only in 6th? If the starter and battery are good I would check your fuel pressure at the rail and work your way back.

If all else fails it could most likely be the opti.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Ah, bah @ a/c clutch. I can just pay for that one then. Yeah it only misfires in 6th, and every once in a while in takeoff's in first, but only for a second at low rpms, then it's fine. No other gears have at all, no matter how hard I push it.

How would the fuel pressure cause it not to even turn over? Wouldn't it turnover but not start? Plus fuel pressure wouldn't cause smoking surely. It would start with a crapped opti, it just wouldn't run for ****. Unless you meant this could be the misfire problems.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Bump, anyone? (Worked till dark today, so no new info)
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spencer51X
Ah, bah @ a/c clutch. I can just pay for that one then.
You can rent the puller at AZ, O'Reilly etc.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Hmph. Had a friend pull me with his truck 3 miles to the only place I'll use. Turns out, the A/C compressor was locked up to such a bad extent that the motor wouldn't even turn over. I've never even heard of such a thing, but I guess the a/c clutch was a bigger deal than I figured. Not sure if this has anything to do with the misfire, but it probably is just a cracked plug. (It started misfiring about 1000 miles before the a/c died, maybe even less)

Anyways, $825. -.-