General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 02:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

My 96 Firebird Tail Lights Issues! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 96 Firebird Tail Lights Issues! Help!!

I just got a 96 Firebird, My tail lights are acting up they are EXTREAMLY wierd ha, i replaced the bulbs, the fuses, and the battery so far. Well what happens is when i have my headlights >off< my brake tail lights works fine, but the left side is a little brighter then the right taillight, (still with my headlights off) and when i use my left blinker it works okayish the 1st bulb blinks then the 2ndbulb kinda bllinks but isent as bright, i thought they were suppose to blink togother???. (headlights still off) and the right tailight blinks the 1st and 2nd bulb at the same time.---OKay now heres where it gets wierder when i turn my headlights >ON< both my tail lights turn on, when i press the brake the left side gets brighter on the 1st bulb but the 2nd bulb is kinda dim, and the third tail light works good, (headlights still >ON<) but my right side taillight shuts off so it leaves the left tail light and the third tail light on but completley shuts off my right tailight. (headlights still >ON<) and also when i turn on my left blinker it does the same thing as it did when the head lights were off, but when i turn on my right blinker (headlights >ON<) it take 4 seconds to blink..then another 4...then 7 seconds... and somtimes it EVEN SHUTTS OFF! and stops blinking

> I have put videos up to help u get an idea of whats going on, they go by kinda fast cuz my phone dosent upload videos right but ull get whats going on. PLEASE HELP ME

1st video with head lights OFF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJx7m9hDE7Q

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJx7m9hDE7Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJx7m9hDE7Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

2nd video with Headlights on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpVJhTKNVY

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vpVJhTKNVY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vpVJhTKNVY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my 96 firebird tail lights ISSUES! HELP PLEASE!!

Shoulda bought a camaro....
Someone will post eventually and we'll get it figured out, nothing else like I said we'll trace EVERY wire for a short .

P.S. You dont even really need to worry about your brake lights, cuz when I'm ahead of you all your gonna see is the glow of my tail lights and a z28 badge
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Launching!

81 views and no one has any advice? come on guys lets help this new fbody owner out, dont wanna scare him into playing with ponies. Im freinds with the OP so he isn't a spammer.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

check ground connections. i beleive the ground for tail lights is bolted to the rear hatch release. under the carpet driver side center section
Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ this.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by doublea87
check ground connections. i beleive the ground for tail lights is bolted to the rear hatch release. under the carpet driver side center section
i already check them they are grounded good, im thinking maybe its the bulb sockets.....
Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

possible. was there any corrosion built up in the sockets when you changed the bulbs?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clean the sockets and bulb connections, look for corrosion to be scraped off, make sure grounds are good and have no paint or rust under them. If all else fails, replace the blinker solenoid. Under the dash just right of the steering column...follow the noise. Costs about $10-15. It can cause some of these issues.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Looks like a bad ground
or the blinker solenoid.

When mine went it did some weird crap with my blinkers, nothing with the back ones but the ones up front. Its cheap, give it a shot.

There are two under your dash. One is the blinker and the other is for the flashers. The one you are looking for is kinda sorta next to the stereo and up a little. Not to tough to get to. Just in a weird spot.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Skylar called me lastnight after the cruise and said he fixed his tail lights, ended up being the sockets and they modified some grand prix? sockets to work IIRC.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Teching In

we all good guys thanx i got i fixed, it was the bulb sockets just put some grand prix bulb sockets in it, ha works great thanx tho

Quick Reply: My 96 Firebird Tail Lights Issues! Help!!