Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans leak... where can it be from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans leak... where can it be from?

My friends trans is leaking... very slowly, which makes it very hard to diagnose. When you park on level ground it drops only a few drops throughout the day... parking on a downhill seems to accelerate the leaking, but still pretty slow leak. Based on where it leaves the spots it seems to be directly underneath the front of the trans pan. I replaced the gasket myself with a new ac delco gasket from the dealer, thinking that was the problem, but the car is still leaking. Can there be another culprit that would leak in that area besides from the pan that I can check? The car recently had a stall and flexplate put in if that matters...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's just tranny oil???? I thought my car was leaking just from the transmission when it was and it turned out to be leaking a little from the motor and tranny
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like the front pump seal is bad or was damaged during the converter assembly
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pump or converter seal pull the inspection cover out of the bottom of the bellhousing and look up in there
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Was the seal replaced along with the converter?
I do not know, I did not do the stall install. He took it to a shop. He took it back again telling them there was a leak, but they just gave it back to him telling him there is no leak and that was that.

If it is leaking from the seal wouldn't it be dripping further up? The drops on the ground are directly under the front bolts of the trans pan.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
sounds like the front pump seal is bad or was damaged during the converter assembly
great diagnosis....it is very easy to damage the pump seal when installing a converter....it is even possible that the converter is not mounted fully causing it to leak slightly.....