General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car randomly dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car randomly dies

Ok, so I got my engine swapped over the weekend (for the fourth time lol) and took it for a test drive. The voltage was low and the car would die occasionally due to what I thought was the low voltage. So I went and got a new alternator and threw it on, and it fixed it, good voltage no issues. I took it out and drove around with no issues. I decided to stop by the car wash and spray all of the dust and nastiness off. I pulled into the carwash stall, put it in park, and it died that very second (without me even touching the key) I tried to start it again and it would crank but wouldn't start. I figured I would try swapping the fuel pump relay and see if I got lucky (I had already swapped it with the ac relay once before when I was having the voltage issue and it seemed like it worked, but it may have just been a coincidence) so I swapped the fuel pump and ac relays and tried to start it again, nothing. So I swapped the fuel pump relay with one of the emissions relays and it fired right up. I drove it home with no issues. This morning I thought I might try to drive it and see what it did. I backed out of the driveway and it died. I turned the key and it started without any problems, drove it down the street and it died again. Started right back up and I drove it home and parked it. Any idea what could be going on here? I've done mutiple engine swaps and haven't ever had this issue before...

Last edited by Sage282; 06-28-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ran home today on my lunch break to mess with it and figured it out One of the ground straps on the back of the drivers side head had actually broken so the wire was just hanging there. I wedged it up against the top of the head and took it for a spin and there are no more issues!