Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 BMW 525i

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 BMW 525i

I have a 2000 BMW 525i with a blown motor. I want to put a ls1 and automatic trans in it dose any one have info on the swap.

Dave
Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

528 should be an easier swap than a 540i... the following is from an email by the fellow that built the twin turbo 528i with lingerfelter LSX..

Thanks for your interest in my car. It started out as a 1998 528 with an auto trans. I am running the LS-1 and the GM 4L60E transmission (the donor car was a 1999 Firebird). I run the setup on a standard GM PCM which has a custom tune done to suit the turbo engine. It runs with a stock harness as it came out of the donor car, with the exception of the many electrical interconnections where power was needed to run the PCM etc. I did not retain either of the BMW computers as they were hooked almost entirely to the engine harness. In setting it up this way I lost traction control, but I did not want it anyway as I installed a limited slip differential to handle the power delivery. The BMW computers did not control anything else.

As I had to fabricate custom manifolds, I did not have any problems with the steering shaft, or the brake master cylinder. The BMW V-8 is a big engine, much bigger than the LS-1 and there is tons of space to do the swap. You may or may not have any interference with stock manifolds or shorty headers, but that would be pretty easy to modify even if you did have a problem. I intentionally chose a 528 for this project because I wanted rack and pinion steering which the 540 and M5 don't have, they use a steering box which just can't be as good, in my opinion.

The front sub-frame was only changed slightly to clear the oil pan, I did not even remove it from the car. Check out the attachment on this e-mail there are pictures of the change to the sub-frame.

The BMW shift cable assembly mated up to the 4L60E really well, all I had to do was modify the cable mount bracket where it hooks to the trans case and then I made a special smaller ball attachment on the 4L60E cable attachment. The throw on the shift linkage is exactly the same on the BMW trans as the GM unit. I guess this is not really that surprising as GM makes the BMW auto trans.

There were only a few modifications necessary for the new drive train to fit. First the front sub-frame had to modified to move the cross member forward in car about 2 inches to clear the front of the oil pan. I carefully cut the welds, shortened the cross member and then clamped in place and welded in back in. I was careful to duplicate the location of the BMW welds which were only on the top and bottom of the cross member. I also had to make some room in the tunnel on the passenger side to clear the transmission where the second gear servo sticks out (I think that is what it is). For this I I use a small bottle jack and simply dented the tunnel out by about one inch to clear the transmission.
With the sub-frame modified and the tunnel cleared the engine and trans fit in the car easily and only required the fabrication of three special parts. They are pictured here and consist of two stand-offs that mount to the LS1 block and reach down and mate up to the stock BMW motor mounts on the sub-frame in their stock location. The third part needed was a transmission cross brace. The stock BMW mounting holes on each side of the tunnel were retained and I just had to build up a piece that incorporated the original mounts location and then picked up the single bolt that sticks down from the GM transmission mount. The next step was the driveshaft and a swap out for the stock differential. The stock driveshaft was a two piece unit and I replaced it with a one piece 3 inch diameter drive shaft. The drive shaft incorporated 1320 grade u-joints that are more than capable of handling the torque that this beast delivers.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vorschlag Motorsports makes a swap kit; not cheap but high quality is the word on the street. I believe there are one or two others that offer swap kits as well.
http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=1

Andy1
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

hefftone and Andy1 thank you for sharing, do you have the pictures of the modifications to the subframe and any of the fabricated parts?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

heftone thanks for that email posting, I've been looking for his info and some info exactly like what you posted. I'm looking into the e39 as well, prices are dropping like bombs on 'em and there are several around with blown motors becuase the stock cooling system likes to fail a lot, good for us!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a ls in my 2000 528i. I just fired it Sunday. I6 cars have their own set of challenges. I wouldn't necessarily say the swap is easier than a 540i
Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Slightly OT, but aren't the newer BMW's CANBUS. If so, how do you guys handle the electronics interface? Also, I don't recall seeing a smog legal swap (for us Kalifornia folks) in any of the build threads....or perhaps I missed one.

Andy1
Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
heftone thanks for that email posting, I've been looking for his info and some info exactly like what you posted. I'm looking into the e39 as well, prices are dropping like bombs on 'em and there are several around with blown motors becuase the stock cooling system likes to fail a lot, good for us!
Yeah, they can be picked up for a song, regarded as one of the best handling BMW's too

Originally Posted by Schitzo
I have a ls in my 2000 528i. I just fired it Sunday. I6 cars have their own set of challenges. I wouldn't necessarily say the swap is easier than a 540i
There are some overall advantages with component lightness (aluminum) and also use Rack and pinion. Was there clearance issues at the brakebooster, steering shaft and header???

Originally Posted by Andy1
Slightly OT, but aren't the newer BMW's CANBUS. If so, how do you guys handle the electronics interface? Also, I don't recall seeing a smog legal swap (for us Kalifornia folks) in any of the build threads....or perhaps I missed one.

Andy1
Yes, and I've heard the E39 had CAN BUS in increasingly pervasive ammounts since 1997... seems like most folks get around it by keeping the BMW ecu (DME) only to monitor the reused sensors for gauges (oil press, water temp, etc.) alongside the LS1 sensors and ECM

Originally Posted by Andy1
Vorschlag Motorsports makes a swap kit; not cheap but high quality is the word on the street. I believe there are one or two others that offer swap kits as well.
http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=1

Andy1
Vorshlag currently only makes an E36 swap kit... there are a couple of Folks on bimmerforums.com in the engine conversions subforums that are planning on making mounts for the E39.

Originally Posted by mgbrv8
hefftone and Andy1 thank you for sharing, do you have the pictures of the modifications to the subframe and any of the fabricated parts?
I've attached the pictures I recieved from Bill Hagancue.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 BMW 525i-528i-lsx-mounts..gif   2000 BMW 525i-528i-crossmember.gif  
Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hefftone

Was there clearance issues at the brakebooster, steering shaft and header???
No issues with the brake booster. The steering shaft gets close but I used an off the shelf block hugger shorty header that cleared. The passenger side has plenty of room though
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

All this is great guys. I really appreciate all and any advice. Im getting shipped out over seas for a while. My buddy owns a shop and dose fabrication. If I asked him to do the job for me about how much should I be looking at I have the motor, trans, computer, harness and block hugging headers from a camero and other parts . I dont want to get screwed or maybe I should wait until I get back in a few months.

Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

I would never have a shop do the entire swap, youre asking a lot of them and the bill could be enormous depending on how they charge you, ya know?

holy **** tarts, Schitzo this is good news, glad to hear youre that far along in an e39 swap! Did/have you posted any build threads anywhere or is this all on the sneaky sneaky? what kind of issues did you get with the I6 based chassis and the e39 in general?

heftone rock on good pics, makes my brain fire right up seeing those pics and wanting to get moving on an e39 project of my own.

**** yeah these are wicked cars and now that prices are under 10grand its ripe for an LS1 swap, no doubt. Gotta love new cars that depreciate 30 to 40 grand in the first 7 to 10 years, ROFL.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8

holy **** tarts, Schitzo this is good news, glad to hear youre that far along in an e39 swap! Did/have you posted any build threads anywhere or is this all on the sneaky sneaky? what kind of issues did you get with the I6 based chassis and the e39 in general?
No build thread yet but will start one soon. I will include all the details then. Maybe a pic to get your juices flowing

Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

That is sweet, You've got alot of room with the six out. What are your doing for a/c. I live here in south TX and thats one thing we cant live with out.

Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Schitzo, what would you say was the biggest challenge or toughest parts of the swap? Maybe that aluminum crossmember? All in all, the E39 has a huge engine bay...six cylinders long, and wide enough for a DOHC V8....I'd think it'd be like thowing a hotdog down a hallway.
BTW, which blockhuggers and oil pan did you use???
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Wow Schitzo you sure knew what we wanted, that looks GREAT! thanks for the pic, yeah I'm drooling all over my work keyboard now! what a great big engine bay, I love it, no wonder Bill Hague? did a TT LS1 in there, its a good fit!

yeah I think the e39 is ripe to be the next 240sx for the LS1 crowd (make it work, DIY & get'r'done!) and make the ideas flow so its a relatively easy and cheap swap, bring it on!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM

This swap is the whole reason I've been trolling these boards for the last few years. I have a 99 528iT that I am wanting to do this to. Seems like a pre MY99 six cylinder would be ideal due to the increased electronics that came with the M52B28TU.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

but the '02 '03 wagons are so much cooler!

Quick Reply: 2000 BMW 525i