General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Super Seal seems to have fixed my leaking A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Super Seal seems to have fixed my leaking A/C

Well, I can't exactly remember when my A/C started leaking, probably sometime back in '07, but it's been a steady leak that could consume a full can of freon in about a week. It would get low enough to where the compressor wouldn't turn on, and it would stay that way for most of the winter. I know, bad, lol. So while I was working at Advance Auto I was okay with adding a can to it every other week while it was hot. Eventually I just decided that it was too leaky to even fool with and that I needed to get another compressor, since its exterior was covered in UV dye. Now that i'm living in Alabama and it's freakin HOT all the dang time I decided to try a $20 can of Super Seal to see if it could fix it. It seemed like a pretty stupid investment on my way out of walmart. My faith was restored a little when I read that you have to add a can of freon immediately after adding this stuff as it might actually seal off the service port... crap... that's a decent size hole... So I did what it said to do and followed up with 2 cans of freon, or until it was sitting on about 45lbs. That was 2 weeks ago and its still as cold as it was when I first added the freon.

It seems like it worked for me, I'd give it a try if you're thinking about a compressor
Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you can stop a leak with sealer. Problem is, it eventually also seals off the tiny tubes in the condensor.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seemed like a pretty stupid investment on my way out of walmart.
It was.
My faith was restored a little when I read that you have to add a can of freon immediately after adding this stuff as it might actually seal off the service port... crap... that's a decent size hole
So, now what will you do when the next leak shows up....and not only can't you put any more gas in, you can't even read the system pressures because the service ports are now sealed off?

For some reason, I never stop being amazed by people who believe in "mechanic in a can".
Old 06-30-2010, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
So, now what will you do when the next leak shows up....and not only can't you put any more gas in, you can't even read the system pressures because the service ports are now sealed off?
Actually the service port is still open. When I put it in I didn't put enough freon in behind it and I came back a week later and added 1/2 of another can.

If it leaks again then obviously I'll get another compressor and go about fixing things the right way, but if it lasts for a few years then I think I'll be pretty satisfied. The way I see it, since the condensor, orfice tube, dryer, and compressor are all over 12 years old and have to be replaced in order to have a valid waranty on a new compressor then I'd be replacing that stuff anyway.

I was one daily driver away from just saying screw the A/C anyway, lol. If it's going to keep working for me on a $20 investment then I'm still satisfied.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a reason in the Ac industry that they are known as death kits.

Do everybody a favor and put a sticker on your vehicle indicating that a sealant was used on the AC system.

Just for your information and anybody elses who reads this, now when you open the system to replace the leaky component, you must immediately flush every component of the system to remove this crap, before it hardens and turns a simple AC repair to a very expensive repair.

A compressor swap, expecially one on a system where the center seal is leaking (I assume your issue based on the comment of the compressor is covered in UV dye) is very easy on these cars. A simply remove, and replace, and refill with oil would have done the job, since the compressor did not fail and fill the system with metal. Sure flushing it the right way to do it, but not you turned a $400 in parts repair to at least a $1300 job, since you must remove the dash to remove the evaporator. You do not typically need to replace the condensor to keep the warranty on a new compressor.

2 12 oz cans of R134a (not freon) is a full system in the f-cars, so you did not need to go add r134a again, since you did put the correct amount in (plus the leak crap)

Ryan
Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Well, good to know. At least maybe a few other people might be able to use this thread as a research tool before they go and pull the trigger on this kit. Thanks for the good info. This kind of makes me feel like a dumbass, lol.

Quick Reply: Super Seal seems to have fixed my leaking A/C