LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Think my opti just went out DOH!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think my opti just went out DOH!!

Got caught in a sudden downpoor and about 2 miles from my house car started popping real loud like gun fire and died. Cranked on it for a while and it started but it was still popping like crazy and backfiring. I am hoping since its in the garage by morning everything will dry out but I am pretty sure I am not that lucky Its gotta be the opti due to the car getting wet. I just hope I didnt fu*K anything else up by driving it 2 miles to get it covered. Guess it is time for an upgrade anyway.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It may take a little longer than overnight to dry out. Make sure you give it ample opportunity to do so before giving up on it. Don't rush to replace...
Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gojira94
It may take a little longer than overnight to dry out. Make sure you give it ample opportunity to do so before giving up on it. Don't rush to replace...
Yea thats what I was thinkin. I am just gonna leave it sit. I dont know what else it could be.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could make for a good excuse for why your car is slow

assuming it's the opti, which one are you gonna go with?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Huge downpour, roads were flooding. It sucked. About 1/2 mile from the house my car started stuttering and missing. I limped it into the garage and shut it off. Let it sit for almost 2 weeks (was on vacation for 1 week) and then cranked it up yesterday. Seemed to run fine. I still may buy an opti bc this one has some miles on it and I'm considering a cam swap anyway. thepartsladi and thepartspros are no longer on ebay. What other options do we have for cheap genuine gm optis?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

at least your water pump seal did not leak all over your opti and now you have to take your car apart for the 4 times... at least water drys lol
Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

That sucks Boe! As humid as it is down here it may never dry out LOL! If you end up replacing it, have you thought about getting a Dynaspark?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
could make for a good excuse for why your car is slow

assuming it's the opti, which one are you gonna go with?

Imuna go ***** out and throw a dynaspark at it. Everyone on here seems to have good luck with them.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6Speed
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Huge downpour, roads were flooding. It sucked. About 1/2 mile from the house my car started stuttering and missing. I limped it into the garage and shut it off. Let it sit for almost 2 weeks (was on vacation for 1 week) and then cranked it up yesterday. Seemed to run fine. I still may buy an opti bc this one has some miles on it and I'm considering a cam swap anyway. thepartsladi and thepartspros are no longer on ebay. What other options do we have for cheap genuine gm optis?
Yep thats exactly what happened. What is weird is it killed the motor and wouldnt start for a min then it finally fired up and started popping like crazy. Its almost like its fouled a plug or a plug is loose and not making full contact with a plug wire. This car and opti only have about 52k miles
Old 06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Formula383
That sucks Boe! As humid as it is down here it may never dry out LOL! If you end up replacing it, have you thought about getting a Dynaspark?

Yea dynaspark will be what I put on. Man I am so pissed. It could have waited another 10 mins to start rainin but Nope. I started the car this morning and it fired right up . Everything seemed fine but once it kinda warmed up here comes the popping. It sounds like an exhaust misfire. Or a fouled plug. If an opti goes bad wouldnt the car not even start. It would just crank and start misfiring. I am just glad I am real fortunate enough to have access to a lift . Just have limited time.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

was it raining that bad? I just dont see how a bad down pour is any worse then washing your car.

I dont fall for all these opti problems. I think its a lot of internet BS to be honest.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
was it raining that bad? I just dont see how a bad down pour is any worse then washing your car.

I dont fall for all these opti problems. I think its a lot of internet BS to be honest.

Yea it was pouring. I didnt fall for the opti problems either but then when it happens to you its a different story. Also the weather up there in Wisconsin is a lot more forgiving then down here. I really dont know of it is the opti but its definately electrical the car was runnin perfectly fine before I drove it in the rain. Regardless somethin got wet and it didnt like it.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

If you have a leaf blower at your disposal, try taking that and blowing the **** out of the engine bay. Otherwise, im thinking maybe a bad plug wire.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Teching In

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Do shbox test before you rush into a opti change! i hate would hate to hear that you changed it and it wasn't the problem!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Teching In

you may also want to take your coil and icm to parts store (advance, auto zone...etc) and have them check them out!!

it does sound like something got wet and when it gets hot it breaks down and want to quit!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97 SS LT1
you may also want to take your coil and icm to parts store (advance, auto zone...etc) and have them check them out!!

it does sound like something got wet and when it gets hot it breaks down and want to quit!

Yea it is definately spark related maybe it isnt the opti. It does sound like a plug misfiring. Maybe one of the wires got wet. The more I think about it maybe its not the opti. I went out a minute ago and started it again. Fired right up this time it took twice as long to start the popping . I am gonna let it sit til the weekend and try it again. If its still doin it next week I will definately stick it on the lift and look everything over. I will keep all of you posted .

Thanks for all your guys input.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could be the icm. If it starts running shitty when it gets hot thats a fairly common thing with ICMS. Mine would just cut the car out all together when it got to a certain temp.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:15 AM
10 Second Club

the icm either fires the coil or it doesn't. there's usually no studdering, it just kills the motor randomly.

Quick Reply: Think my opti just went out DOH!!