Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Hooker Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing Hooker Headers

So I picked up some brand new hooker headers yesterday for my 2000 Z28 and figured someone has a write-up of the easiest way to install them. I would appreciate it if you could give me a link or something of the easiest way to do it. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Restricted User

Its pretty straight forward. Get 10mm socket and ratcheting wrench.Take the old y-pipe off, take off all egr, take off the spark plug wires and coil packs, take out spark plugs, than take off the stock manifolds. Get the car up very high, probably 2 feet and the passenger side is saposed to slide in. On the drivers side try to slide it in, but it probably wont, so you will have to take off the steering knuckle. To take it ou just take out the top bolt and get a pry bar and pry it off and let it hang. Before you have the driver header in make sure the steering knuckle isn't in a spot where it can't go back in when the headers are installed. Get drivers side in. You will need a friend to get the headers held up in there and than you can slide the bolts in. Also make sure that you always have the ratchet on the bolts straight so you can lessen the chance of breaking a bolt off in the head. The passenger side header bolt might be a b**** but just be patient and you will find a way to get a socket on it and it will go right in.

Last edited by z99ls1; 06-30-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

same procedure..just follow the part with the header install...word to the wise because i literately just did this 2 days ago, take off the coil packs and the valve cover on the passenger side, it will free up a lot of room also the oil filter,transmission dip stick tab on trans if your m6, steering linkage, and the starter on the passenger side, sounds like a lot but it will free up a lot of room to work with. and change your spark plugs, but have them back in before you put the headers in, b/c they are a pain if the headers are already installed..and start with the back bolts first they seem to be the hardest

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

dont forget NEW MOTOR MOUNTS........poly
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot guys! I will let you know how it works out for me!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
dont forget NEW MOTOR MOUNTS........poly
Or Solids...