Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto 555's or Potenza RE760's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitto 555's or Potenza RE760's?

Hey all, I've been out of the game away in Spain for almost 2 years now and I came home to need new tires on my TA to get past the state inspection. Currently running the the first gen KDW's 275/40/17 and wondering how far tire tech has come.

It seems like the 555's (the EP not the dr) and the Bridgestone RE760's should give me similar wear with better grip all around, but was hoping to get some member feedback. The car will see spontaneous hard rain up here in the hills in NY.

Many years ago I ran a potenza tire (RE430 maybe?) and loved it, but not sure how the new one stacks up and I've never run a nitto before.

Any help is much appreciated to help get my ride back on the road!!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nittos 555r hook very well It snap my driveshaft in half and fucked up my rearend so they work..lol
Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

I almost ordered the 555's because of the rating i have been reading on the internet but i talked to a guy at discount tire and he said he did not like them because they were to hard and did not grip well. But he also said people like them because they can do burnouts with them and not really destroy the tread. im not sure what im goin to do now.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Damn, that's kind of what i was afraid of. I'm taking the kdw's off partially because of a large sidewall bubble but also because they got so hard over the years that they basically won't wear out at this point.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

I can't give any info or PE on the Potenzas, but can offer some info on some others.
How about Nitto NT05s instead, They are one of the best tires I have had on My car and wish I would have kept them instead of going to new wheels with Nitto 555EPs. I had Goodyear F1 GSd3 and Cooper Zeons just before the NT05s and have to say I liked the Goodyears a lot, but I wanted to try something else. The 555eps don't really like the heavy summer rains you get there in Upstate New York.
They worked great in the Hot Carolina Summers we have had the past few years, as it didn't rain here much, till this year. And by the time I return home, the weather will be cooler and rainy again. The 555s are most definitely a hot weather tire and last very well, due to this fact. But the Nt05s are a better tire IMHO and well worth a look, if this is not a year round driver car.

Good Luck on your choice.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Quick Reply: Nitto 555's or Potenza RE760's?