Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 failure! No warning!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 failure! No warning!!

First off let me start with saying I loved the LS7 clutch when I had it in my car.

My 2000 TA is a DD and had 142k on it when I put in the LS7 package in. Look in sig for cars power.

Purchased from Scoggin. New updated slave and master with the LS7 package.

Left the house last wensday night to go to Walgreens and shifted into 3rd at 20mph and the clutch/tranny makes a popping noise and I loose everything. 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th-6th-R. Well I am at 177k and im thinking at this point my Trans is gone. Talked with some reputable people about it and they assume that perhaps the main shaft broke. I have a very good friend that has another trans and says we can swap it in on Saturday. Great!!!

We get the trans out and look at the clutch (pressure plate). It looks Great!!! Put in the trans get it back on the ground. And to my suprise there is nothing!! same situation. We know his trans is good. We also took the front cover off my trans to check the gears make sure nothing was obvious inside it. Did the same to his.

Take his back out and the take the LS7 out. Well we notice nothing wrong with it. No glazzing, no rainbow colors on the PP or Flywheel, absolutly nothing. I assumed there would be nothing wrong with it since it never slipped, its never seen a high rpm clutch dump, never seen a burnout. There was no reason for it to be bad. Im assuming it was in the disc because I could still get the car in gear with no problems. It was a sudden failure!!

Thankfully he had a brand new SPEC Stage 3+ () with their billet flywheel brand new in a box in his shop. We throw it in and away I go. Currently at 250 miles on the SPEC and has some shudder from a stop but I hope it will get better after break in. I hope this clutch lasts. Im not slipping it or riding the clutch during take off from a stop light. I now have a TICK M/S sitting on the work bench waiting to go in.

Is there a clutch out there that will last 70-100k in a non track daily driver?

Last edited by TTA1437; 06-30-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sound like you got a defective clutch set. Thats the first I've heard of an LS7 clutch failing suddenly and without any warning. I have one in my own car, and its been excellent.

Typically the only failures you see on here are caused by repeated abuse at the track, at which point them start to slip. Sudden failure is not common at all.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Well I know my car has never seen track time. No high rpm clutch drops. No burnouts.

I will more than likely get another LS7 package again, because I want a good clutch that will last for a good amount of miles as this car is my daily driver.

We'll see how long this SPEC lasts.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTA1437

Is there a clutch out there that will last 70-100k in a non track daily driver?
Textralia
Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved my LS7 but it didnt love the track one bit. It drove very nice on the street and besides the slipping at the track it was a very excellent clutch for the money.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would of rather seen you put another ls7 clutch before putting in the damm spec.

But good luck, I hear the twin clutches out there last along time. But they are Big dolla...
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
I would of rather seen you put another ls7 clutch before putting in the damm spec.

But good luck, I hear the twin clutches out there last along time. But they are Big dolla...
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get back on the road. But your probably right considering this is a Daily Driver. We'll see what happens. My good friend gave me a hella deal. The only complaint at 400 miles with it is it has bad shudder in R and moderate shudder in 1st.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So...what exactly is wrong with the clutch you took out? Are the splines seperated from the hub somehow? I guess I just don't understand if all the parts LOOK ok...why doesn't it transfer torque to the transmission?
Old 07-04-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

get a monster and change your sig it still says ls7 clutch
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

iv had clutches do that. probably broke the hub. its looks fine when u do that but u can move the hub

Quick Reply: LS7 failure! No warning!!