General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what to check for after a car has been sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to check for after a car has been sitting?

hey guys,

its been a while since ive been on these boards cause ive been out of the country for over two years. my 99 z28 camaro has been sitting outside at my parents house here in chicago the whole time i was away. when i left, my parents said they would start it every couple weeks and all that and maybe drive it around to keep the tires alright but i think that only lasted until the first winter. after that im pretty sure they just let it sit there cause the battery is completely dead and there are dirt marks under the tires suggesting its been sitting there a while.

so my question is what are the most important things i should check/replace? obv i know of the basic things but i just wanted to get some of your opinions in case im forgetting anything. thanks so much in advance.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Change the oil/tranny fluid/gear oil. Make sure the radiator is topped off. Expect flat spots on the tires, it'll cause some vibration. Drain the gas and replace.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

i appreciate the response. is it ok just to top of the coolant? i was figuring i should just replace it.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

The coolant should be ok, but look at it and see if it has anything floating in it.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sat outside? I sure hope you put down moth ***** or something similar to keep the critters away or you may have a big mess of chewed up wires (ask me how I know )