Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sub-Frame Connectors?

Who makes the best product? SLP? BMR?

Oh and bolt-on? or weld-on?

Thanks

P.S. What is the best suspension upgrade for our cars? Would it be the sub-frame connectors? control arms? sway bars? torque arm? or panhard bar?

Last edited by Ryan Boechler; 01-17-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Launching!

bmr makes good sfcs i would get weld ins much stronger, lg motorsports makes great suspention products also
Old 01-17-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

I have SLPs diamond bolt-on SFC and I am completely pleased with the fit, finish, and performance of them. Its like driving a different car now, great increase in cornering. I can not tell you for sure if weld-on are stronger because my bolt-ons have never given me any trouble... I took the bolt-on route becuase I did not know of a good welder at the time. They have to be careful not to burn your carpets, etc...

Tommy
Old 01-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Not BMR boxed- mine didn't fit right and look like hell, I'm thinking about cutting them off after seeing the Spohn units installed on my friends car. The Spohn ones are nice and rigid, fit great, and tuck up nicely under the car.

I called BMR regarding how the front tabs were both too far outboard of the front subframe- they tried to blame it on my car having a bent frame (interesting because it was exactly 3/4" outboard, both drivers & passengers side). So, knowing my car was never in an accident, and never abused before- I took it to a body shop anyway- because I was worried. A laser straightness test says- frame is straight- the SFC's were wrong. I'm guessing it was a "1 time mistake"- since many have had luck with them. But either way- I feel the Spohn units are superior product, from a superior company.

I don't have any experience with anything other than BMR & Spohn though.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Come on people, I know there are more people out there with expertise, I need some help here.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP bolt-on's, here's a link for the install. http://users3.ev1.net/~cnl1/firehawk/subframe/index.htm

Al
Old 01-18-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMR Boxed for me. I was going to get the SLP bolt-ins but couldn't afford them, even if they were on sale. Mine fit in perfectly, and they look and feel great. Cost my $75 to get them installed.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.dynamicmotorsports.com

eric makes some, and is a very informative guy. they are priced well too. i am about to order some myself. that's about all i can tell you right now i'll give you more information when i get them
Old 01-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

I had a set of Global West tubular SFC's welded in. They do not reduce any ground clearance, as they tuck up into the frame real nice. I have seen some boxed SFC's where you can see them from standing outside of the car. Some people like that, but I don't. You have to crawl underneath my car just to even tell that they are there.

I am real happy with them. When I first had them installed, I didn't think I felt a difference. However, when I jumped into my other vehicle (Mustang) with no SFCs, I seriously thought something was wrong with that car's chasis. It felt real loose. I had NEVER felt that difference before, and as a matter of fact, I always felt that the Mustang was a better built vehicle, as far as the chasis and interior was concerned.

The SFC's definitely stiffened up the car and made it more pleasurable to drive. Now, I am in the process of saving up for some SFC's for the Stang!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan Boechler
Come on people, I know there are more people out there with expertise, I need some help here.
I have put every possible subframe on and the best one is Global West Weld in. They fit as nice as the G2 stuff but are thicker and stronger. BMR is okay at best and SLP is flat out JUNK!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run SLP bolt-ons that I had to cut the cross bracing off to give the Y-pipe clearance I needed.So now thwy are 2 point bolted and welded.I'm going to remove them and get BMR tubular weld on's.Alot lighter and just as strong.Also tuck up nice.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Question

Quick question guys. What kind of welder is recommended for installing SFC? And what is an average installation (welded sfc) price?
Old 01-19-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like the hotchkis(sp) subframes. Therye also a boxed design, but tuck up better than any other boxed design out there. Or you can go with the sphon chromoly subframs, they tuck up well and are light.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Launching!

My friends Lincoln Electric MIG welder from home depot maxes out @ 1/8" steel, so he couldn't do it safely (since they were 1/8"- and it's good to have a little leeway). I'd say take it anywhere that has a decent "commercial" grade unit and you should be fine..
Old 01-19-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

I have the SLP bolt ons and love them. If you're not too serious into autox and such they should be more than enough. They are a super solid solution in my view.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quick tip: make sure your cars weight is sitting on all 4 wheels when they get welded on if you go that route.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got the BMR tubulars on mine, they are good........
Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have tried the SLP stuff and i have taken it all off my car. I went with the Kenny Brown Double Diamonds. They tuck up really nice and they are a double diamond. I have no trouble with the long tubes. I run a x-pipe so i am not sure about the y-pipe clearance but i haven't heard any complaints about them. I noticed a big difference between the SLP bolt on's and the KBDD's.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
I got the BMR tubulars on mine, they are good........
I too have the BMR tubular SFC's and think they were about the best at the time I bought them 2-3 years ago when they first came out.
If I had to buy SFC's now I would get the Global West tubular sub frame connectors since they are stronger and have better tabs to weld to. They use 2" diameter roll cage tubing and the pads to weld to are much larger and make better contact with both the tubing and frame.
Here's a good site that shows how to properly install weld-in global west sfc's that I found. Install toward the bottom of the page.
http://www.authorized-amsoil-dealer-...humbnails.html
Old 01-20-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, now I would probably buy a little better product, I don't think they stop chassis flex as good as some of the others......I still got small dimples on the rear quarters....