LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What spark plugs for supercharged LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What spark plugs for supercharged LT1?

What are the best plugs to get for my camaro, it's pushing 4lbs. on stock heads, and what part#'s are they? Also what do I gap them to?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

At 4 psi you shouldn't have any trouble with spark...BUT

I started having trouble ~9 psi with my Vortech LT1 and an MSD 6AL fixed my spark problems. So I always use an MSD and my experience has been to gap ~.035" with stock heat range.

Others change heat range, but my experience with both turbo and sc is run an MSD and as your boost goes above say 6 psi start closing your gap with ~.035" the least gap you run.

I recommend the 6AL because that way you can progress to a 2 step and significantly improve your launch

Good luck
Old 07-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Launching!

What kind of plugs though, I know on my mustang automate copper plugs are the hot ticket, but what about for the lt1?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

I run iron heads and I use Autolite 106 in the LT1 iron heads. That is the standard heat range, the plug for an aluminum head will be different. I prefer Autolite so ask for the stock plug for an LT1 until you get > 7 or 8 psi they will be fine.

A friend runs the NGK TR55 plug I don't like gapping them, but he has had great luck with them he is running 22 psi with MSD coil and 6AL box and has had no problems. As I said the plug is at most 5% of the ignition problem with boost get an MSD coil and box and you won't be fighting ignition problems.

If you stick with stock ignition and an MSD coil you will be chasing your tail. I have been there and done that and I am trying to help keep you from having those problems.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2010, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

The spark plug brand is of no real concern. Some prefer Autolite others NGK and the list goes on. There isn't one magic plug, people have success with many different brands.

Like I said until you go alot higher boost the plug is not the biggest part of the problem. Get any plug and tighten gap ~.005 for each 5 psi of boost is a swag. Once you go above 5 psi get the MSD coil above 6 or 7 get an MSD box (6AL)

Good luck

Quick Reply: What spark plugs for supercharged LT1?