Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 trans am 5.3 tahoe engine and trans advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 trans am 5.3 tahoe engine and trans advice

I've been contemplating a ls conversion in my 1980 T/A for a few months now, at one time I had talked myself into the LS3 e-rod package and a stage 2 4l60/65 trans from one of the forum vendors.... now I'm starting to have second thoughts about dropping 10g's for just the engine and trans...

So, I started considering scaling back the whole project to a budget 5.3 build. I found a 5.3 from an 05 tahoe with 79k for 500 bucks. I also found a trans from an 04 two wheel drive 4.8 tahoe with 44k for 300 bucks.

Number one: Is this a good deal or just an ok deal???

Also from what research I've done, a two wheel drive truck trans should fit just fine correct??

I realize that I would likely need either a corvette or f body acessory drive, so add that cost in.

In addition, I have a set of real z06 243 heads with the sodium filled exhaust valves, etc I bought years ago for my 04 gto which is now sold. So, I was thinking I could put these on the 5.3 (I realize I would lose a slight amount of compression) along with one of those complete ls6 intakes from ebay which includes injectors fuel rail and throttle body.

Now.... will the pcm from the 05 tahoe compatible with a cable driven throttle body which comes with the intake I was considering?? or would the throttle body from the truck fit on the ls6 intake?? I know to do this i'll need a different water pump (which would go along with the different accessory drive system).

I think for simplicity I will shell out the bucks for a quality custom wiring harness if this makes a difference.

Is this a half baked bad idea?? Any advice or suggestions would be VERY appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like some good deals to me. But I would just use a f-body pcm and get a stand alone harness.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also doing a 1981 Turbo T/A, I have a 2002 LQ4(6.0) I got the PCM, and most of the harness with the engine. I pin the harness myself with the help of info on here from LTswap, and sent the PCM to him to get the VATS removed. The engine runs great, the turck intake will fit under stock hood. The best PCM, and harness i hear to get is the 99-02. As for the trans it should fit, but im using the TH350, to save time, and $$$. The truck acessorys fit just right with the carshop motor mount adapters. In the process of doing the hot side for the turbo. Also i use the car stock metal fuel lines, and upgrade the short rubber parts, used a inline walbor pump with stock tank.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Teching In

So the stock truck intake and accessory drive fit under a stock TA hood???

I was under the impression that they wouldn't fit well... especially the accessory drive.... Thanks.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it will all fit. I install Hydro boost brakes, and also did alot of other things.

Quick Reply: 1980 trans am 5.3 tahoe engine and trans advice