Sponsored by:

Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e

Hey guys,

Yea yea...I know the title will get giggles from some but I have been planning a build like this in my head for quite some time. It is finally starting to take shape in my garage and wanted to share it with you and get some suggestions along the way.

A month or so ago I sold my Pro-Touring '78 Trans Am and will be delivered it to its new owner on Memorial Day. I learned a tremendous amount on that car and she sure was great for the limited time I drove her. LS1/4L60e Detroit Speed arms, Pro-Touring F-body Suspension and a boatload of other goodies. And while it saddens me to get rid of her...I am getting married and have some serious house work that needs to be done.

Some pics of the TA before she went bye bye:

However as one door closes, a new one opens. Well, the door opened for this girl:

A 1969 Olds Cutlass S with 44,000 miles on the clock. Why's it look so beat you ask? Well, the previous owner bogarted all the good sheetmetal to put on his 442 only to sell the damn thing!

Anyway, I snatched this guy up for $1K and the interior is practically mint!

For suspension I am using BMR all over:

For brakes, CPP big brake kit:

For Wheels........BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!!

18" Rushforth Rated-X!!!!!!!!!!!!! 18X8 fronts 18x10 rears. I love these things and think they will look killer on a Victory Red Painted W-31 Cloned Cutlass with two black stripes down the hood.

Now for the power plant the original plan changed slightly...

Originally I was going to use...

403 Olds from my drag car...ran 11.50s in that but I swapped the cam to make it a little more streetable. For now it will be backed by a TH350 but will eventually get a 200R4 transmission or 4LXX-esque trans.

Well...that plan changed because I missed the LS motor so damn much I picked this up the other day:

I am only getting the short block out of this...LY6 based and will probably be mated to a 4L80e. L92 heads should put the compression right around the happy place of 9.6:1 for...drum roll please....

A GT4202R split ball bearing turbo...should be good to 1000hp.

My plans are to use Truck Manifolds or the LS4 manifolds from the V8 cars...they're a little better looking.

ZR1 cam is getting stabbed into the shortblock and going unported L92s...nothing too fancy. My goal is to drive this thing to the track and rip a mid-10sec pass and drive her home.

Here's a little teaser of the finish product:

Hope you guys like it!

I will definitely need some help along the way piecing together the missing parts of the build...mainly fuel injection parts, LS2 cover, cam sensor, LS2 top gear, intake, harness, computer control etc...

When I built my TA it was a no brainer...got a LS1/4L60e drop out from a '99 Camaro with computer, harness, everything!!! This go around I am piecing a lot together so a lot of questions are coming...I can feel it!

Enjoy!!!

Dave

Last edited by BanditDave; 06-14-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Looks good! I cain't wait til you get started.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Oh I am very well into it my friend!!!

Have to put it on hold for a few days until some brake stuff shows up and the shortblock arrives...not sure exactly where it is going to land.

The frame is clean and repainted...uppers were just mocked up to give me a smile!

Here's some pics of progress!

Putting the fiancee to work...haha

A present from BMR!!!

And my outdoor guard kitty!!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Got a nice update for today...

Been selling off a lot of my stalled projects and stuff I just couldn't use anymore and am making back some money I am spending on my wedding.

This weekend I picked up the LY6 block, Edelbrock adapter plates and Energy suspension poly-mounts.

I also got a few boxes from the guys in brown...so this morning I snuck out in the garage early and got a little done:

I'll snap a few more pics tomorrow but so far I am very happy with the quality of the BMR stuff and with CPP's Big Brake Kit. With BMR I only had one thing not get shipped and was a small oversight on their part. It was in my hands within a few days. CPP I am a little angry with because they charged me shipping when they said it was free, they also told me everything was in stock when I was ordering (because I specifically asked about that...one of my reasons I bought their kit) then when my order wasn't charged in over a week I called and found the hubs were on backorder. That REALLY pissed me off and after a three week wait I finally got the brakes about 3.5 weeks after I ordered it. Not the end of the world, just hate being lied to. Regardless, I am very happy with the quality.

More to come!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I been thinking of those Rushforths... X Rated are sime nice wheels.. red on black would be killer.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Cant wait to see the finished stance with the BMR stuff, Ive been considering them for my build aswell.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

I am pretty pumped with the wheels and stance as well. I will see if I can dig up a pic of a BMR Chevelle I saw. Sold me on the package. If you decide to go with it, give Chad at Fletcher's Customs a call. He hooked me up on the price and shipping was CHEAP for everything I got.

I will try and have something for you on the stance soon.

Dave
Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet! Right now its between BMR and SC&C but I guess I will determine which I go with when the funds are available for the suspension part of the build.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bullitt4110
Sweet! Right now its between BMR and SC&C but I guess I will determine which I go with when the funds are available for the suspension part of the build.
You absolutely cannot go wrong with the SC&C kit. IMHO the SC&C kit will out handle the BMR kit as it is scienced out a bit more and corrects problems that the BMR will still have, but it does cost more. I fyou are looking for ultimate handling, then the SC&C is the way to go. I was looking for better than stock handling and a particular look. I probably will never see a road course with this car, but will definitely see a drag strip.

BMR fit the bill for me.

Dave
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

This guy has a decent amount of BMR stuff on his car...right up your alley!

I'll find some more when I get home from work!

Dave
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Little Update...

Progress has been slow because I am planning for the wedding but also trying to continue to clean out the garage. Starting to get some of the ancillary tasks done in the mean time. Also trying to figure out how to swing buying the valvetrain and oil pump/pan. All in due time it would seem.

Anyways, today is I painted the short block I scored right near my house. LY6 with fly cuts already done. I am throwing stock L92s on her (assuming USPS ever delivers them!!! ) but nevertheless, she is looking nice!

Olds W-30 Bronze! Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

great work!! that thing is going to be sick...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Shoulda put that small block olds engine in, dont post this thread on realoldspower.com haha
Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny you guys talking about braking and handling. Just saw this car and track road test of a 73 442 on Autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/03/v...rmance-test-s/

Funny stuff.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast4a6
Shoulda put that small block olds engine in, dont post this thread on realoldspower.com haha
I know I know...I had planned to for the longest time. I had some issues with a particular Olds vendor going on 7 years now and I just felt it was the right time to separate from all the Olds engine stuff. The 403 olds in the other shots is a greaet engine, well put together but is never going to be enough to support the goals I had for the overall car. That being said, pretty much the moment I sold my Trans Am that you see earlier in the thread, I missed it!

The new owner is doing an awesome job with the car where I came up short on it and from what I hear is really enjoying it.

This go around I made a much more detailed plan of what I am doing and am doing my best to stick to it. It will take me a while to finish this but I am looking forward to every minute of it.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

looks great.. cant wait to see the wheels on her
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Launching!

That rendering is sick as hell. If your car ends up 1/2 as good looking as that, I'd consider the project a success
Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditDave
I know I know...I had planned to for the longest time. I had some issues with a particular Olds vendor going on 7 years now and I just felt it was the right time to separate from all the Olds engine stuff. The 403 olds in the other shots is a greaet engine, well put together but is never going to be enough to support the goals I had for the overall car. That being said, pretty much the moment I sold my Trans Am that you see earlier in the thread, I missed it!

The new owner is doing an awesome job with the car where I came up short on it and from what I hear is really enjoying it.

This go around I made a much more detailed plan of what I am doing and am doing my best to stick to it. It will take me a while to finish this but I am looking forward to every minute of it.
I think I know which olds vendor you are talking about, me and my father recently built and little 350 going into his 70 pace carand it turned out pretty good
Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Well, the damn heads finally made it here and as expected, because they were shipped through USPS, the corners are MASSIVELY dented up to the point where it will not be able to be cleanly bolted to the deck surface...

I am going to go for a walk right now instead of grabbing a beer...mostly because if I grab a cold one, the case will be demolished.

More to come.

Dave
Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Got a few updates!

Just about got the front end buttoned up. Sway bar installed last week. Still need to install the steering box and steering linkage but that is only minor. Also built the rear with the CPP rear big brake kit. Everything looks great! Pics to come tomorrow.

Also picked up some engine goodies. I sold the original 74mm turbo I had because I believe I need to walk before I run. I picked up another turbo and wastegate combo...67mm turbo which should max out at around 700 hp without IAT issues with a decent intercooler. I am looking for a VERY drivable 600 flywheel horse. Got this baby today:

GMPP intake, Wilson Manifolds fuel rails, Edelbrock 90-deg elbow, injectors, and gaskets for a smokin' deal.

I will eventually upgrade the injectors but for now they will be good to start with.

More to come in the next few days!

Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e