Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

RS Help/Intro: After I fix this I'm going back to carbs & lead

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Help/Intro: After I fix this I'm going back to carbs & lead

Hi. You might have guessed but I am somebody's grampa! Finally junked the old car with 453,000 miles on it. My neighbor gave me a 1997 RS Camaro with a check engine light on. Didn't give me a problem until about 5000 miles down the road when it would be hard to restart. It would idle for a hald second then shut off. It got so bad that it would take more and more turns to crank. It first did it with the engine hot, then cold. Sometimes it would start the next day. There was a sulpher smell, and the check engine light had sometimeg to do with an oxygen sensor. The Catalytic concerter looked like it was replaced pretty recently, so I'm wondering it it was and then clogged up again. The other day I go out of the car and was banging the cat really hard with a hammer and it started.

So I suppose I need to replace the cat but what else should I replace so the new one don't get plugged up if it is the cat... ?

The car had plenty of zip and it will burn the tires if it hits just right, so is it the cat?

Like I said when it don't want to sart it will tuirn over and idle for almost a second and shut off... it doesw it hot and it does it cold and when I try to rev it when it wont start the taxch will limit at about 4000 but whrn it's running after it starts and runs I could red line it with no problem...
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Cat does need to be replaced 'again' and it was replaced not too long ago, it sounds like something else is the cause of that issue. (The Sulfer type smell is Cat related if memory serves)
Possibly O2 sensors that need to bee looked at / tested.? Just a guess.
Also, the best way to proceed before spending any more money might be to have the check engine light codes looked into / diagnosed.
See what all codes are that's tripping the Check Engine Light and go from there.
Generally that light will guide you in the direction of whats going wrong.
Hope this helps...
--Glenn