Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need help with wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with wheels

Hi guys,

Ok ill start off saying i know very little / nothing about wheels. I'm looking to get some good rear tires that will hook up. My car is mostly street car since there aren't really any tracks around here but one day I'm hoping to get to a strip to test it out. I just installed a yank ss3600 converter and needless to say the car spins hard. Its a 94 LT1 trans am with stock rear end.

My main question is what makes hook up the best? small rims with big sidewall tires, or is it more the width of the rim like looks more for 10.5/11 inch rims. I want to eventually get Torque thrust 2s, so would i be fine just ordering the big rims for the back and some good tires? i think they come in 17" for rim size. Also what is the difference between street and drag radials? I thought I heard DRs don't last very long, so if that's true I think I would want to stay away from that and get some longer lasting tires. Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm certainly not covering all of your questions, however I hope this will help somewhat.

To hook up, you certainly don't need wide tires. The compound itself is what is really important. You would have no problems hooking with your stock wheels (16"x8") and a good tire (Mickey Thompson or Hoosiers).

That being said, I would not daily drive that tire. You have to realize there is always going to be a tradeoff. The stickier the compound, the harder you hook, but the quicker it wears out.

Of course if you want to meet somewhere in the middle, than I would suggest getting a decent sized street tire (275+) with a decent tread rating. I'm sure someone else can elaborate more than I have though.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks could use some more input though. Id like some wider tires for that mean stance look as well. would i be able to get some good street radials for 17" X 11 torque thrust 2s? would it hook up good?