LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hot cam kit for lt1? whats involved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot cam kit for lt1? whats involved?

im wondering if i should get a hot cam kit for my 94 firebird formula its got the stock firebird lt1 with the corvette lt1 cam, valve springs and roller rockers, and bigger vette throttle body...plus a bit more. the work was done to the car before i bought it. i was just wondering what exactly i need to have this done and what other parts or mods or tuning do i need?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming you have a proper CAI and exhaust, most everything you need is included in the kit. I would also change out the timing set for a new one and do some minor things like valve seals as well. You should also invest in a tune as well.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Assuming you have a proper CAI and exhaust, most everything you need is included in the kit. I would also change out the timing set for a new one and do some minor things like valve seals as well. You should also invest in a tune as well.
where should i get the tune done?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a hotcam you could get away with a mail order tune. I've used Ion for three tunes so far. On a dynotune I only picked up 5rwhp over the mail order tune, this is on my hotcam setup.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

does the engine have to come out? how hard would this hot cam installation be? how much messing around will it be to get it running right or is it a straight forward install and go type deal?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No the engine doesn't need to come out... you should probably leave it to someone slightly more qualified than you sound, however.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanosborne
does the engine have to come out? how hard would this hot cam installation be? how much messing around will it be to get it running right or is it a straight forward install and go type deal?
If you aren't mechanically inclined (or know someone who is) it might not be a good idea to attempt it yourself. The work isn't hard - it just comes down to knowing the bits and pieces, tricks and snafus, that make it fairly difficult for the beginner.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

I would start by picking up a Haynes repair manual for the 93-97's and read up on the engine section. It's not the greatest repair manual out there but they cover the cam removal & instal well enough to give you an idea of what tools are needed and what all is involved. On a scale of 1-10 on skill required I'd give this one a 7.5
Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gregrob
No the engine doesn't need to come out... you should probably leave it to someone slightly more qualified than you sound, however.
well.. yes but im gonna watch. theres only one way to learn right??
Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If you aren't mechanically inclined (or know someone who is) it might not be a good idea to attempt it yourself. The work isn't hard - it just comes down to knowing the bits and pieces, tricks and snafus, that make it fairly difficult for the beginner.
i do know people but i dont want to be a beginner for the rest of my life right? they are doing it for me but im watching while they are doing it.

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
I would start by picking up a Haynes repair manual for the 93-97's and read up on the engine section. It's not the greatest repair manual out there but they cover the cam removal & instal well enough to give you an idea of what tools are needed and what all is involved. On a scale of 1-10 on skill required I'd give this one a 7.5
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well.. yes but im gonna watch. theres only one way to learn right??
i do know people but i dont want to be a beginner for the rest of my life right? they are doing it for me but im watching while they are doing it.
Screw watching get in there and help. Thats the best way to learn! Also if you have all the boltons along with the cam kit you will need better pushrods and all your gaskets. For the tune just do a mail-order like they said.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Back it on up a minute.
Before you go diving into things you need to know what you have.

Apparently someone misinformed you along the way. The Corvette LT1 was THE SAME as the f-body LT1 with the exception if the main caps.

The Vette cam and TB are THE SAME.

If the person you bought the car from was so stupid as to buy stock castoff Vette parts and throw them at the cazr the first thing you need is someone competent to go through the car with a fine tooth comb to find out what other raging stupidity might be lurking.

After that the HOT kit is not worthwhile, you already have roller rockers and the kit valvesprings might be OK for lighter LT4 valves but are NOT sufficient for the heavier LT1 valves. GM sold them with the kit because they were and existing part number NOT because they were best. Valvefloat is the the factories way of keeping rpms down.

If you decide to dive in yourself the HOT cam might not be a terrible idea, cheap way to get some experiance. If you are going to pay labor, pay a little extra and get a modern cam. The HOT cam was meant for reliable additional performance nearly a decade and a half ago, in that time springs have come a LONG ways which has allowed cams to come a long ways.
If forking out the substantial cash for the labor on this spend the few hundred extra to "do it right, do it ONCE".

If you DIY with the HOT cam is is a cheap learning experience and you will likely dive back in later when you want more.

My first cam was an even milder ZZ4 crate motor cam, was nice and mellow passed as stock sounding was a nice performance bump. Don't regret it for a moment, but since then I have swapped cams and heads two more times and at this point the tech guy is starting to tell me what mods I need to do next, none of them are for more HP either.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Back it on up a minute.
Before you go diving into things you need to know what you have.

Apparently someone misinformed you along the way. The Corvette LT1 was THE SAME as the f-body LT1 with the exception if the main caps.

The Vette cam and TB are THE SAME.

If the person you bought the car from was so stupid as to buy stock castoff Vette parts and throw them at the cazr the first thing you need is someone competent to go through the car with a fine tooth comb to find out what other raging stupidity might be lurking.

After that the HOT kit is not worthwhile, you already have roller rockers and the kit valvesprings might be OK for lighter LT4 valves but are NOT sufficient for the heavier LT1 valves. GM sold them with the kit because they were and existing part number NOT because they were best. Valvefloat is the the factories way of keeping rpms down.

If you decide to dive in yourself the HOT cam might not be a terrible idea, cheap way to get some experiance. If you are going to pay labor, pay a little extra and get a modern cam. The HOT cam was meant for reliable additional performance nearly a decade and a half ago, in that time springs have come a LONG ways which has allowed cams to come a long ways.
If forking out the substantial cash for the labor on this spend the few hundred extra to "do it right, do it ONCE".

If you DIY with the HOT cam is is a cheap learning experience and you will likely dive back in later when you want more.

My first cam was an even milder ZZ4 crate motor cam, was nice and mellow passed as stock sounding was a nice performance bump. Don't regret it for a moment, but since then I have swapped cams and heads two more times and at this point the tech guy is starting to tell me what mods I need to do next, none of them are for more HP either.
what cam would you recomend? and what exactly would i need to order with the cam, i want it to be a daily driver but i want as much power gain i can get.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its a DD the hotcam will work well for you. But you can go a little bigger and be fine.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
If its a DD the hotcam will work well for you. But you can go a little bigger and be fine.
how big? and what would be the best cam
Old 07-25-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

There really is no general "best" cam. There is a best cam though for your setup depending on many things.

How much power do you want to end up having?

What drive-ability do you want?

What other mods do you plan on doing?

How many miles on your stock internals may be a reason to upgrade some parts with a lot of wear.

If I were you I would look into either the LE1 or LE2 setup which would be a better choice and give you more potential out of your car then the hotcam would. Search LE1 or LE2 to find more posts and info about them to see what people are making for power with what other mods.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Restricted User

Go with the cc503 its is pretty much the same as the hotcam only it makes a solid 15-20 more hp. As far as it being hard... Hmmmm well I was not very expereinced when I had my 93 z28, but I read up on it for about 4 months before and got to where I knew everything I had to do before I even touched the motor. This was when I was 16 years old and I did everything perfect so as long as your very carefull and really want to do things the right way you should be fine. If I were you I would go with the cc503 cam and get a set of beehive valve springs good for .625 lift. You will also need some hardened pushrods and a gasket set.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Go with the cc503 its is pretty much the same as the hotcam only it makes a solid 15-20 more hp. As far as it being hard... Hmmmm well I was not very expereinced when I had my 93 z28, but I read up on it for about 4 months before and got to where I knew everything I had to do before I even touched the motor. This was when I was 16 years old and I did everything perfect so as long as your very carefull and really want to do things the right way you should be fine. If I were you I would go with the cc503 cam and get a set of beehive valve springs good for .625 lift. You will also need some hardened pushrods and a gasket set.
sounds like a plan, wheres the best place to order these parts? preferably in canada
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im basically in the same shoes as the OP. Ive been researching cams while saving money for a cam. Ive also decided to go for the cc503 cam.
As far as parts, i know ws6store has a gasket kit for installing cams. For pushrods and lifters, id try Speed-Eng or any sponsor here.
For the tune, im pretty much screwed since i live around 2 hours from the closest decent tune shops that i know of.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Im basically in the same shoes as the OP. Ive been researching cams while saving money for a cam. Ive also decided to go for the cc503 cam.
As far as parts, i know ws6store has a gasket kit for installing cams. For pushrods and lifters, id try Speed-Eng or any sponsor here.
For the tune, im pretty much screwed since i live around 2 hours from the closest decent tune shops that i know of.
Let us know how it goes.
money isnt really a problem for me but im having trouble finding a FULL list of parts for a engine rebuild and the cc503 cam install. and i live in the middle of nowhere basically so i dont know what im gonna do for a tune
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

After that the HOT kit is not worthwhile,
96capricemgr, you Hot Cam Hater

Quick Reply: hot cam kit for lt1? whats involved?