Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny howl

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny howl

I have a 06 CTS V with 24k on it. I have noticed the trans howls quite noticeably in 5th and 6th. The trans is not leaking fluid and fluid level is okay per the dealer during last service. The howl was present before service. I don't flog my car, mostly freeway driving.
Any suggestions.

Thanks Mark
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pilot Bearing, Most likely.

I doubt its a hard internal part, and I am willing to wager as your accelerating that the noise is not as noticable and since that your often cruising in 5th or 6th and the interior noise is less, its more noticable.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. The noise is noticeable in each gear, but is real noticeable while cruising. It has never made that noise since ownership.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 Old Road Dawg
Thanks for the advice. The noise is noticeable in each gear, but is real noticeable while cruising. It has never made that noise since ownership.
After you diagnose it let us know, if it is the pilot bearing you might as well put a clutch in there and we can get you into a Monster Clutch that will fit and work with your CTSV, we've got everything from 425hp to 950hp covered.

Of course if you want to get just the bearing we sell those individual parts too, just let us know.