Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what thickness for my true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation what thickness for my true duals?

finally its time am getting around fabing my own duals. ive asked around for pipes prices...am going 2.5" over the axle, havent decided what mufflers am going with but def. no cats..no emission tests here so no worries.....i got prices for stainless steel, polished stainless steel and galvanized iron, but my question is what wall thickness should i go with? i found here on local shops 2.7 mm for the galvanized, 1.5 mm for the polished stainless steel and 2.5 for the stainless steel..what is best for the exhaust? thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think wall thickness of the actual piping is discussed much here. But if you do over the axle, it's gonna have to be 2.5" regardless.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
finally its time am getting around fabing my own duals. ive asked around for pipes prices...am going 2.5" over the axle, havent decided what mufflers am going with but def. no cats..no emission tests here so no worries.....i got prices for stainless steel, polished stainless steel and galvanized iron, but my question is what wall thickness should i go with? i found here on local shops 2.7 mm for the galvanized, 1.5 mm for the polished stainless steel and 2.5 for the stainless steel..what is best for the exhaust? thanks.
depends what your gonna do with the car. if your lowering it go with 2.5 if you are staying stock height go with three inch you cant go wrong with either. on my car i have pacesetter lt's with a summitt 3' x pipe and two borla xr1's
Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
depends what your gonna do with the car. if your lowering it go with 2.5 if you are staying stock height go with three inch you cant go wrong with either. on my car i have pacesetter lt's with a summitt 3' x pipe and two borla xr1's
He's talking about the thickness of the wall of the pipe though, not the diameter of the pipe. He already knows he's doing 2.5" diameter since he wants to go over the axle.

I've never seen a discussion on thickness of the pipe so I have no idea. However, just guessing here, I'd go with 2.5mm stainless over 1.5mm polished stainless because my guess is that a thicker pipe would help hold the heat inside the pipe a little better. That's if you want to go stainless. Of course being in a place where it never rains or snows you wouldn't really need stainless because I doubt rust is much of a problem, unless you live close to the sea and have salty sea air.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X-ray
He's talking about the thickness of the wall of the pipe though, not the diameter of the pipe. He already knows he's doing 2.5" diameter since he wants to go over the axle.

I've never seen a discussion on thickness of the pipe so I have no idea. However, just guessing here, I'd go with 2.5mm stainless over 1.5mm polished stainless because my guess is that a thicker pipe would help hold the heat inside the pipe a little better. That's if you want to go stainless. Of course being in a place where it never rains or snows you wouldn't really need stainless because I doubt rust is much of a problem, unless you live close to the sea and have salty sea air.
gotcha thanks for clearing that up, and yea i agree the thicker piping would be better for heat. and also i would imagine be easier to weld instead.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Thickness comes into play for ease of welding and weight. Thinner stuff is marginally harder to weld to the inexperienced, but weighs quite a bit less

Heat retention mumbo jumbo is exactly that. Hear-say

Ramp up to .25" wall and talk about heat retention. Coatings do affect heat though, must like coated/painted headers. Stainless will also have a slightly different heat property than aluminized mild steel, but not enough to split hairs over

Stainless vs standard steel tubing is user preference. Stainless has a slightly different sound for a free flowing exhaust system but will never rust out

Also, Id steer clear of the shop wanting to put 2.7mm wall tubing on your car. Thats over .100" thick, way heavy stuff. Since you're talking galvanized, it seems closer to fence post tubing rather than exhaust
Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pocket
Thickness comes into play for ease of welding and weight. Thinner stuff is marginally harder to weld to the inexperienced, but weighs quite a bit less

Heat retention mumbo jumbo is exactly that. Hear-say
Well, I had no idea what I was talking about. You however sound like you know what you're talking about so I'd listen to you and get the thinner tubing to save weight.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so on a stock height car you can go 3 inches over the axle?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knightryda01
so on a stock height car you can go 3 inches over the axle?
yea it can be done just have to find a shop thats willing to do it cause its a little more complicated then running 2.5
Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by X-ray

yep am going 2.5" but the thickness vs material is my concern.

Also, Id steer clear of the shop wanting to put 2.7mm wall tubing on your car. Thats over .100" thick, way heavy stuff. Since you're talking galvanized, it seems closer to fence post tubing rather than exhaust

so what do u recommend? its true the galvanized weights a ton! and the polished stainless is too thin i think.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Buy actual exhaust tubing from a shop or other supplier. It's measured by gauge similar to wire, not actual thickness. 14, 16, 18ga are common with 16ga being what most use

Theres nothing wrong with the thin stainless as long as you weld it up alright. Id suggest against the polished tubing because its an added cost youll never see. Polish the tips where you can see it, dont bother with the rest
Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pocket
Buy actual exhaust tubing from a shop or other supplier. It's measured by gauge similar to wire, not actual thickness. 14, 16, 18ga are common with 16ga being what most use

Theres nothing wrong with the thin stainless as long as you weld it up alright. Id suggest against the polished tubing because its an added cost youll never see. Polish the tips where you can see it, dont bother with the rest
i know that it is measured in ga but its hard for me to find shops selling them specially for exhaust in local shops, thats why i went for the factory. about the polished stainless steel it was cheaper than the normal one! due to less thickness i guess.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Get a mandrel bends kit and a few strait sticks then have at it