Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question from someone new to these cars.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from someone new to these cars.

Hi LS1Tech,

I'm coming from the world of imports (turbo Subarus, specifically) and looking at buying an f-body Z28. I've always been a fan and now the time has come to make one my own.

I'm looking at 98-2000 models. I drove a 98 6mt hardtop today that was overall a pretty solid car. Had a few iffy cosmetic mods (billet front grill, factory wheels sprayed black) but overall it drove nicely and seemed solid.

There's only one thing giving me pause. It grinds going into 3rd and 5th gear, but it goes in and doesn't pop out. Clutch feels fine (just judging by the pedal feel and takeup) and the rest of the gears are good. I don't know how old the clutch is nor does the seller. He said he's never changed it (he's the second owner). However, the car shifts quite nice in all other gears. The grind also isn't gut-wrenching...its definitely there though.

Fluids were all serviced recently according to the seller (done by a shop)....so idk if they just used low quality trans fluid or what. I know my subaru was really sensitive to trans fluid quality (would grind and whatnot unless I used OEM liquid gold).

I understand this is not a hell of a lot of info, but is this typically a recipe for disaster, or will a high quality synthetic ATF (as I have heard that trans is designed to use) usually take care of the issue? Could it be a few thousand miles away from death? I've done a lot of googling and asking around, I'm just looking for a little insight from the community.

Car had 136k and felt like it had a short throw shifter installed, for what thats worth.

Thanks!

Last edited by gldstn2; 07-07-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the synch rows are worn on 3rd and 5th. Could be something or just anoying. There are plenty more to be had if it bothers you that much. Look around a bit there are deals to be had. Now if you are getting a steal for this one go for it. Welcome by the way.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Sounds like the synch rows are worn on 3rd and 5th. Could be something or just anoying. There are plenty more to be had if it bothers you that much. Look around a bit there are deals to be had. Now if you are getting a steal for this one go for it. Welcome by the way.
Yeah i've definitely been shopping around a bit.

I'm fairly certain I could snag the car for about 4500-5000 bucks, which seems like a good deal for an LS1/t56 car...and the interior is well kept. The tranny just scares me. In the Subie world if a used car's trans grinds its a "Run away now and don't call back" kind of affair.

It needs a driver's side window motor too, which I hear is common and not too expensive to fix.

Thanks for the welcome. With some luck I'll be a regular.

Last edited by gldstn2; 07-08-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T56s can actually be rebuilt relatively cheap if you can do it yourself. They are a very good transmission for stock, and for the most part it is only small parts that need replaced such as block rings, synchro keys, shift fork pads, etc.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by fergymoto
T56s can actually be rebuilt relatively cheap if you can do it yourself. They are a very good transmission for stock, and for the most part it is only small parts that need replaced such as block rings, synchro keys, shift fork pads, etc.
I do hear really great things about the t56. I can do basic maintenance (oil changes, fluid flushes, etc) but I'm nowhere near the skill level needed to rebuild a tranny.

How much is labor typically? I've seen basic rebuild kits from aftermarket vendors for around 200 bucks. We talking about how many hours of labor?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-3-1380-a.html

check out this thread and maybe give him a call and see what he thinks, it might even be some bargaining leverage if you got a professional opinion and a basic quote on a trans rebuild
Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 AM

Saw that^^^^Thank you for the heads up.

Any more input or experience is appreciated.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it grind only when cold? Or all the time. If it grinds each time you're going to be looking at a rebuild, but most likely it will drive fine for many more miles without it. Mine has a slight grind if I shift into 4th too fast but I almost never do that so I don't mind it. It all depends what you are willing to accept, I would personally look at other ones since there are plenty to be had. You don't want to buy a car just to start repairing it.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Went back today to check out the car again. Dude let me take it out for a little more of a thorough test drive.

He told me to romp on it a little. Saw some white smoke out of the oil filler neck as it was cooling down (I popped the cap to see) and this time I found out he never registered it....as he's only had it for two months.

However it only slightly grinds in fifth. The car's torque combined with the 1-4 skipshift was throwing me off.

Next. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Question from someone new to these cars.