Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8" Swap, ABS Inop, E-Brake & T/C light on, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 8.8" Swap, ABS Inop, E-Brake & T/C light on, now what?

i just picked up a 98 Trans Am, it has a Ford 8.8" rear end, and the ABS TC and E-Brake lights are on. with the 8.8" swap i was told you lose the ABS and TC features, which sucks for ABS,m but TC i could care less

is there any way to turn them off?
i dont like my gauge cluster looking like a Christmas Tree. i looked behind the gauge cluster but they do not have their own bulbs to remove

can they be turned off threw a tune or something?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can tune them out, or take out the bulbs. The bulbs are not "removable" but they can be removed.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spiers
You can tune them out, or take out the bulbs. The bulbs are not "removable" but they can be removed.
How do I get to the bulbs?
Do I need to remove the gauge face/needles?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's been so long that I dont remember exactly. But I did not remove the face or the needles. I just remember accessing them from behind and IIRC they were soldered onto the circuit board and I just ripped the bulb off. But I don't think it can be re-attached.

I took it apart to remove the TC light, since I purchased a new gauge cluster and my car isn't equipped with TC, and never will be. Also be sure to remove the correct bulb if you want to do this.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

your car has a 4 channel rear, depending on how the 8.8 was build it could very easily have ABS and Trac Control working.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
your car has a 4 channel rear, depending on how the 8.8 was build it could very easily have ABS and Trac Control working.
hmm, im not really sure how it was built, the car came like this, what could i look for to try and get this stuff working?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

u can also use black elec. tape to put on back side of ur overlay of cluster. the light will still shine but it can not shine thru the thick black tape.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Apex8
hmm, im not really sure how it was built, the car came like this, what could i look for to try and get this stuff working?
Does your 8.8 have the magnetic TCS sensors on each end of the housing? Do the axles have the reluctor rings?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
Does your 8.8 have the magnetic TCS sensors on each end of the housing? Do the axles have the reluctor rings?
Ok I will look at that this week thanks!!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, your 8.8 can, indeed, have ABS and TCS...however, in order to do this, you would need custom axles machined with the reluctor rings on each axle. I have Moser axles in my 8.8 and I have TCS and ABS. You may want to find out who built your 8.8, and ask how "careful" they were with the backing plates. The magnetic pickups for the TCS/ABS on the backing plates are very brittle, and can break if someone isn't careful.

Also, get under the car, and check to make sure there are actually electrical plugs plugged into each magnetic pickups on each backing plate. Sometimes the electrical plugs aren't even plugged in. If they are plugged in, however, chances are that your axles don't have reluctor rings.