LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Modding my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding my suspension

Spohn had a sale, so I decided to get some goodies. I got chomemoly sway bars, LCA's and relocation brackets and subframe connectors. This is the first modification I've made in my 6 years of ownership. I figured I'd make it handle a little better before I did anything else. My next mod will either be headers or gears and a girdle. Most likely the gears, because I 'm more concerned with SOTP gains. I hope my 10 bolt will hold up. I'm not planning on launching it hard or running sticky tires, so I think it will be alright with a set of 4.10's.
It really needs a tune, though. It smells like it's running rich since the new engine is in and my gas mileage is terrible. I'm getting about 14 mpg and I do mostly highway driving. Help me plan my next mods.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good choice on the goodies!

I would get the gears/girdle before the headers. Then you can send your PCM off to Madtuner for a tune and speedometer recalibration... although you may want to wait until you get headers and exhaust if you will be doing those soon. LT1's run rich from the factory, and mine have been slightly rich with the mail order tunes too.

Oh, and I love stirring rocks with a spoon
Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

don't forget shocks unless you have already done that.

one of the most important suspension mods.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I'm running the UMI 3-point SFC's and they really made a difference in the quality of ride. If you go with 4.10's I recommend GM brand gears. They make a world of difference with the M6
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

you will see the night and day handling man!!!..
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

SFC's are probably the best suspension mod I did to the car..
Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

^ +2, Subframe conns are the best mod IMHO you can do any gen Camaro. They really help 3rd & 4th gens ride quality and rattle eliminations. Should of came with them already on there.

Dub

When in doubt do without
Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys :-)

I've heard mixed reviews with everything. A lot of people say they didn't feel any difference whatsoever with subframe connectors, but I've heard a lot of good too. Hopefully they'll be a noticeable change, but maybe I should have gone with 3 point SFC's instead. Whatever, I'm sure the 2 point ones will be alright. I'm extremely excited about the sway bars though , plus the LCA's should make a huge difference, especially with the relocation brackets.

I think I have to get this tune as soon as I get paid, because my idle bounces a little bit (150- 200RPM), I smell unburned gas, my fuel economy is about 13MPG, whereas before the engine died I was seeing 25 and I'm sure it's not as powerful as it could/ should be. It has a re manufactured LT1, so I'd imagine the heads are milled slightly and it's been bored out a bit, so I should have at least a little more power than before (especially being 120,000 miles newer), yet I don't feel a difference. Hopefully, Ion can help me. His site says that if the car has been out of tune for a while, it might not be all that great even after a tune.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

I just got off the phone with Ion and he says it sounds like I have an ignition issue or an exhaust leak. He said a tune won't do much in this case. He's a really nice guy. He could have swindled me, but he didn't.

My idle bounces every so often, but stays between 800 and 950 RPM and it's not a constant thing. It's every so often. Could I have a fouled plug already? I can smell that the car is running on the rich side. I'm mechanically retarded, so I'm not even going to pretend like I know what it could be. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Modding my suspension