Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

p0704?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default p0704?

I just recently got a BRAND new clutch,pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel,slave cylinder, master clylinder. And every few days it will through the p0704 code. Its clutch input circuit sensor. Just wondering what it means. Everything seems to be fine and work fine. Except the fact that the cruise control doesn't work now. Where as it did before the tranny was pulled. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Teching In

will a car pass inspection with this code?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably bumped your clutch pedal switch when you put in the master cylinder. Take that bottom dash panel back off and make sure both clutch switches are operating correctly, I.E. the clutch anticipation switch makes contact with the clutch fully released only (this one affects cruise control), and the neutral safety only makes contact with the clutch fully depressed. That should be where the problem is.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two switches under there that monitor clutch pedal positions (as stated above) - one lets the PCM know when the clutch pedal is pushed in, and the other lets the PCM know when the clutch pedal is fully out.

I use a Tick master cylinder in my application, and that ends up making the clutch pedal sit lower when not pushed in. This obviously messes with the switch that monitors when the clutch is in that position - with the lower clutch pedal, it was barely tripping that switch, and that in turn set the P0704 code. It doesn't affect much, but the cruise control won't work if it can't tell where the clutch pedal is in its operating range.

The fix is simple (if this is what your problem is) - the switch that monitors when the clutch pedal is out is adjustable. It actually has threads on it, so you can screw it in or out until it makes proper contact with the pedal. You'll need to disconnect the wiring harness to make significant adjustments, and that can be frustrating since working under there is really tight, but it is possible.

Beyond that, make sure all the wires are in good condition (not broken or chaffed), and make sure all connectors are still plugged in.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot guys. That may be the problem I will try that and see if that fixes the problem. And I cleared the code with my programmer so it would pass an inspection. And it hasn't set the off in almost a week. And I have driven it every day. And cruise control still doesn't work. And I don't care if it would pass an inspection. I don't have to pass one!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Here are some pics to help fix the problem. I just did it to my car and the code has not reappeared! Just passed inspection

I just did it and the code is gone! I have posted some pictures of the switch before and after adjustment.

Like members have mentioned:

Step one: You simply remove the switch (white) from its connection as pointed out in the pictures.

Step two: Once you have done this twist the switch into position. Then you re-connect it to its connection and you are done. Clear the code and it should go away for good.
Attached Thumbnails p0704?-img_3295b.jpg   p0704?-img_3304.jpg   p0704?-img_3304b.jpg   p0704?-img_3306b.jpg   p0704?-img_4193b.jpg  

p0704?-img_4197b.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ferg95 T/A
I cleared the code with my programmer so it would pass an inspection.
Originally Posted by Ferg95 T/A
I don't care if it would pass an inspection. I don't have to pass one!!!!

Quick Reply: p0704?