Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with rust inside the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Question What to do with rust inside the frame?

Guys that sandblast or sand your frame on your projects, what do you do with the rust inside a boxed frame? Did you use any special tools or anything to get rid of it? I'm getting back to work on my project and I was wondering what you guys are doing. This will be on my 2nd gen Trans Am, any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a mouse nest inside mine. A little carb cleaner and torch, add some compressed air to give it some oxygen and that was that. Then I took a brake cleaner spray can tip with straw, put it on a can of rust convertor and hosed it down. When using that tip, the "paint" comes out like a fire hose so be prepared. I had enough holes to access most of the inside of what was left of the stock frame. The front and rear were fabricated. I also "fire hosed" the other body areas I couldn't get at.

I'd recommend a rust converting paint rather than just the convertor only spray. You get a thicker coating.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashty
I had a mouse nest inside mine. A little carb cleaner and torch, add some compressed air to give it some oxygen and that was that. Then I took a brake cleaner spray can tip with straw, put it on a can of rust convertor and hosed it down. When using that tip, the "paint" comes out like a fire hose so be prepared. I had enough holes to access most of the inside of what was left of the stock frame. The front and rear were fabricated. I also "fire hosed" the other body areas I couldn't get at.

I'd recommend a rust converting paint rather than just the convertor only spray. You get a thicker coating.
I may do the same clean up as you did, should be fun. A member on pro-touring.com gave me a link to this. Pretty cool I think.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

I used a cheap yard sprayer (like the ones you put weed killer or bug spray into) with some POR15 in it. I added a long piece of clean tube to it with some hose clamps and then clamped the sprayer nozzle onto the end of the new tube (basically made a really long spray nozzle). Pumped it up a few times, placed the nozzle all the way into the frame rail, hit the trigger, and pulled the hose out as it sprayed. Voila, no more rust problem. You might want to blow out the frame with an air hose first, though.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very careful using brake cleaner or other similar around any sort of flame:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Matt's POR15 suggestion is a good one. Don't even need to bother with getting rid of the rust in there first.

Pat
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Be very careful using brake cleaner or other similar around any sort of flame:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Matt's POR15 suggestion is a good one. Don't even need to bother with getting rid of the rust in there first.

Pat
if you read that it is about mixing brake clean and argon from a tig or mig welder. but using brake clean and a torch in a boxed frame is a bad idea none the less. till your done with the torch and cleaning for paint prep is ok.

Quick Reply: What to do with rust inside the frame?