Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my trans on its way out?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is my trans on its way out?

Just out of no where today while my car is in drive the rpm will drop down to 550rpm and when I go to hit the gas I hear a click (everytime I hit the gas off of idle) sound and the car hesitates and then goes. This only happens at low speeds (like parking the car in the garage or going over speedbumps). At first I thought it was an idle problem but when I put the trans in park my rpm jumps right back up 900rpm. So What gives? It feels like the car is going to die every time I come to a stop while in drive and before it would idle fine without me hittin the gas now I have to hit the gas to get it to move. The car only has 45,600 miles on it and the fluid is full/clear but smelled a lil burnt. I drove this thing 5 times today without incident and I just took my buddy home less then a mile away and it started actiing up going over the speed bumps in his apartment complex. Car is a 98 Z28 A4 only performance mods are a lid/ p&p Tb. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont see how the trans could drag the rpms down unless something in the converter was binding? But if something was binding i would think it would make the car want to move faster or push through the brakes more at idle due to less slip.. if that makes any sense. Kinda like idling around with the clutch half out in a manual car. Im not sure what the clicking would be, but could be lash in the drivetrain from almost stalling and then hitting the gas... or a u joint?

But the idle could be the idle air control valve stuck, in gear the valve opens up more because of more load to let in more air, in park or neutral it closes more because there is less load on the motor... Same thing happens when you turn the a/c on.. Turn on your a/c and see if your rpms bump up a bit at idle.

Search this Thread