Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Is there a way to adjust gap between hood and front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is there a way to adjust gap between hood and front bumper?

The hood is lined up very well but there is a 1/2 inch gap between the bumper and the hood. I'd like to pull the bumper towards the hood a little. Any fancy or simple way to do this?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

noone knows? every single thread I saw on this topic ended with no information on bumper adjustment...
Old 07-10-2010, 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use shims between fender and fender attachment rail to pull it in. kinda hard to describe with words but basically you want to pull the fender in by simulating the attachment point to be closer towards the midline of the car.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what car is it? a camaro?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

02 ss . The gap is between the headlights only beween the hood and bumper not on the sides.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea there should be adjustment onthe hood hinges... first try loosing up the bolts on the hood on one side at a time and pull forward and then do the other side the same distance (this will keep your side gaps even) if you dont get enough adjustment out of that... then loosen the hinge on the body side (lower part) and pull forward and you should have some adjustment there... on these cars you prob wont get any better than a 5/16 gap which is kinda large for todays standards but thats just how these cars were built maybe a 1/4 if your lucky but tahts pushing it... but 1/2 inch is way to large... hope this helps
Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not sure if this idea will help or not but i read someone else did this and i'm gonna be tryin it as well....i have a lt1 car and i have the same problem with large gap on mine...the lil push pins up front dont allow for any adjustment so the suggestion was replacing them with bolts .....lift up slightly on the nose to push it closer to the hood then tighten the bolts down....i actually have to change out the fender bolts as well on mine to some button head bolts to close the gap on fenders as well...the front to back adj on mine is right where it needs to be just needs the gaps closed up a little bit
Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

I have been doing paint and body for about 15 years. Here are a couple of very simple tricks. If your side gaps are good (fender to hood) and you are looking to fit the gap from hood to top of the light there is slight adjustment from the hood hinge. There is a locator tab that goes from the hinge into the hood. You will probably only get 1/8th. you can also losen the side bolts on the hinge its self, not the bolts to the hood, and get a little adjustment.

The other trick is to remove the hood, remove the side bolts holding the L bracket to the hinge, put the brackets together and oval the bolt holes for more adjustment. You want to put them together so they are even. Use only a drill bit big enough for the bolt.

You dont want to do anything with your fenders because this will throw you jams off with the bumper and with the doors. As far as adjusting the bumper, you can get a little by losening the mounting bolts. Be very careful as again you can throw the other jams off and get a slight angle which is noticeable.

Hope this helps
Old 07-11-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not sure about moving the hood down as the curve in the hood lines up with the curve on the ends as it is. If I pulled the hood down it seems to me that the curves wouldn't line up and it would be obvious that the hood was forward. Suck that there are push pins holding the bumper in position. I may remove the
and figure a way to get bolts in there so I can push the bumper back a little and tighten them down.

When I push the bumper (above the plate) with my knees just a little it closes the gap to an acceptable amount . I think 1/2 inch was an exaggeration but it's definitely more than 1/4.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres some front to rear adjustment in the fiberglass piece that the bumper secures to on top. If you loosen the two 10mm bolts you may be able to push it back some. If it's adjusted all the way back, you can grind some more adjustment into it with a carbide cutter or a millling bit in a drill.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Whistler
Theres some front to rear adjustment in the fiberglass piece that the bumper secures to on top. If you loosen the two 10mm bolts you may be able to push it back some. If it's adjusted all the way back, you can grind some more adjustment into it with a carbide cutter or a millling bit in a drill.
I looked at that today and that piece the bumper pins attach to spreads out and is bolted firm by 2 more 10mm bolts on each side so Im not sure how much adjustment there can be. I just spent like 30 seconds on it today but will play with it tomorrow when I get time.

As a last resort it looks like the bumper pins can be removed.. the holes elongated and the pins replaced with bolts with rubber washers. that would allow me to move the whole bumper forward and back. At least it seems that way.

On a side note.. the rear fender in my previous Z had the classic indent visible on the passenger side right above the wheel. This car I notice slight creases in the rear quarter panel ... about 3 of them. the seams look good the welds all untouched the paint doesnt look funny. Inside the quarter everything doesnt show signs of body work but I'm starting to wonder if its normal that some cars can have some more creasing in the metal. It's not very noticeable at all unless you are looking at the rear quarter from certain angles and are looking for it. any thoughts on that?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

There is a bracket that has 2 or 4 bolts in it and u slide it up or down to raise or lower the top of the bumper. when i bought my car there was a gap and it looked like my hood was popd. while taken my ac condenser out i seen the bracket.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

pics?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing...mine looks the same way
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Basically there are 4 pins that hold the bumper (the area above the emblem) to the plastic bracket. The plastic bracket has 2 vertical stacked bolts on either side and yes I am guessing it can probably be moved up and down. The problem is raising the bumper cover wont close the gap that I have which isnt up or down. The hood looks closed and is the same height as the cover it's just there is too much of a gap.

I'll elaborate after lunch on what I plan to do. Gotta go play some hacky sack outside

Here's my hood gap I an unhappy with. Name:  IMG_5891.jpg
Views: 4600
Size:  61.5 KB

I dont want to post too many pics of my new ss (saving it for a nice thread ill start soon)

Here's my old 01z. you can see the bracket at the front behind the pins
Name:  04motorsimplegreensmall.jpg
Views: 4002
Size:  111.1 KB
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

The bracket I am referring to is the black composite piece at the bottom of the white Z picture that looks like |____|

The pins are visible below it. There are 2 1/2 pins visible in that picture.

What I plan to do is remove the pins and elongate the holes in the bumper plastic only not the piece below it that the bumper plastic is being pinned together with. I will use a lock washer and nut below and a special Bolt head that has a washer with little teeth notched in the washer. I'll post a pic up shortly of the bolt. I should be able to slide the bumper cover forward (facing the car) to close the gap and tighten down on the bolts to hold it securely in place.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

I walked down to the the assembly floor and picked up the bolt I was talking about. I can get these and might get some sets together if anyone else needs to do this. Will probably get to it tonight before i hit the bed because I refuse to drive the car with a gap like that.
Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 3888
Size:  59.4 KB
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

Spent a good part playing with all the bolts I could find.

On a side note... drivers side headlight is a little loose. Is there a screw that holds the lights in place? i couldnt see any besides the adjustment screw.

I ended up using washers on one side and moved the bumper to where i wanted and the gap now looks great. Ill post a pic tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good work and thanks for the input!! I'd be interested in a set of those bolts for my TA. Lemme know what i owe you!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Same. Having issue with my 98 TA. Just haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Subscribing

Quick Reply: Is there a way to adjust gap between hood and front bumper?