What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 Z28, 85XXX miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 Z28, 85XXX miles

Car details are here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...-z28-sale.html

Have the car up for $7,000 but I'm wondering if it's worth more (around $8,000). Car is mechanically sound.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I believe you have the car priced right for a quick sale. The biggest negative that I see is the SES light. That can be a huge RED flag to any potential buyer. Even though you say O2 sensors it can mean a host of other issues (and worries) to the knowledgeable buyer. You are smart to clean it up and make it as nice as possible. GLWS!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

True enough. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

7k is priced well, and i think you could get it or close to it. problem is people are going to talk you down from whatever you list, so i think you could list at 7.5k and wind up taking 6.5-7k.

i just traded in my Z for a BMW that seriously is almost identical to your car (even slight body damage as you mentioned). i had 83k miles, car was broken into recently and all the stereo stuff was stolen, so i basically had 2 speakers and a tape player also. i had a vacuum leak that caused a problem with the direction of flow on the AC (kind of annoying), and several door dings. the dealership gave me 5k for my car--i didn't even blink and took the offer. i was expecting to get 7.5k in a private sale AFTER i spent close to 1k fixing all the broken stuff. that plus dealing with the entire process of selling just wasn't worth holding on to it for a private sale. i also got 1.5k from the insurance company after the break-in, essentially making the return on the sale 6,500 instead of 5,000.

problem is not a lot of people want to buy these cars now. you know that already from previously trying to sell 2 years ago. i'd suggest see what local dealerships would give you as a trade-in. the only pro to my car over yours was z06 wheels. i think if you can get 4.5-5k for yours, it would be worth the trade-in. that's my .02 cents anyway. the other problem is with a trade-in, if you don't negotiate a price on the car you want first, once you tell them you are going to trade the car in they won't budge much on the car you are looking at buying. so the only way to really counter that is to find a good deal on a new car from the beginning so you don't have to negotiate the price much.

Quick Reply: 2001 Z28, 85XXX miles