Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with Monsoon CD Player

Old 01-18-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with Monsoon CD Player

I just searched this forum but didn't find any definitive info on what I was looking for. Situation: Everytime I put a CD in the player it makes noises as if it's reading it but then quickly reads ERR and spits the cd back out. Every cd, everytime. Prior to this happening the cd player would work fine for a while but then while cd was playing it would begin to skip and finally kick out with same error message. So that's it. Don't really know what to do. I read that I could try cleaning the laser. The only way I know of to accomplish this is by using one of the store bought CDs that you put in and let play through. Have one and it won't even except that CD. Can you take it apart and clean the lense? I'd really like to get this fixed cause I have no problems with the stock system besides this and I'd really like to avoid the costs of purchasing a new Head unit. Any information and help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 01-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

It may not be repairable. If your car is still under warranty, have the head unit replaced. I'm on my second one myself, although it was for other reasons.

--VIP1
Old 01-18-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one in my '99 Firebird will reject the cd sometimes before accepting the cd. But it will eventually play.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

one of my cars is currently doing the same thing.....except it's not my trans, it's my yukon, the bose cd player takes a cd, does something and spits it right back out. forunately since the car is barely a year old it's being covered under warrenty. hope you can get it fixed.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

how about to find the cable-converter and change it by a Pioneer CD-Changer.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DO NOT use the cd cleaner disc. They have a tendancy to actually hit the Laser as it spins around... at very high RPM's, it will damage your laser further. You can buy a can of air and spray it in the CD slot, make sure the radio is off, if there is any dust or lint in there, that should help.
Does your problem only happen to just CDR's or certain store bought CD's, or does it do it to all of them? It sounds like your laser is out of alignment. Theres not much you can do but take it in to get repaired.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wildman
DO NOT use the cd cleaner disc. They have a tendancy to actually hit the Laser as it spins around... at very high RPM's, it will damage your laser further. You can buy a can of air and spray it in the CD slot, make sure the radio is off, if there is any dust or lint in there, that should help.
Does your problem only happen to just CDR's or certain store bought CD's, or does it do it to all of them? It sounds like your laser is out of alignment. Theres not much you can do but take it in to get repaired.
Thanks everyone for your input. Wildman, it's happening on store bought CDs. Out of my attempts over the past two months, I think I've gotten one cd to play and it was only for like 3 to 4 songs and then it spit it back out. I think something is seriously wrong with it. I'll definitely try the air can thing though. If it is the laser alignment do you think I could find someone that could fix it up nice, like new, for cheaper than buying a new/used operating head unit?

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 01-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

If you use an air can, keep it upright. If you tip it, liquid can come out instead of gas. The liquid form is extremely cold and can cause flash freezing.

--VIP1
Old 01-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Teching In

hey my cd did the same thing i happen to disconect the battery for somereason when ihooked back up my cd player was ok have not had anymore problem since
Old 01-24-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

You need one? I'll sell you mine! Cheap!!!
It's out of my 2000 Z28. I also have my 12 disc changer that i am selling. PM me & we'll negotiate. If you're interested ofcourse.

Matt.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Teching In

The exact same thing happened to my 01 Camaro. The dealer said the CD player died. They replaced it under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with Monsoon CD Player