LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MSD Customer Service

Well, I bought one of the first MSD optis back in '06, and i've never had any issues. Decided to pull it apart and take a look before throwing it on the new motor because I could hear something lightly rubbing on the inside. About half the thickness of the rotor had worn itself away on the dust cap, red dust everywhere inside. It looks to me like the dust cap is warped, because there was no play in the bearings/shaft/rotor ect. Called MSD, and they're going to fix it free of charge. I'm a little disappointed that it's going to be another 3 weeks before I can get this thing running, but for MSD to warranty a 4 year old opti with no receipt? Not saying their product is of the best quality, but that's good customer service in my book. To the MSD opti's credit... it was still working great when I pulled it out, and litterally a PILE of red dust fell out when I cracked it open.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

That was one of the issues (perhaps still may be) of the first MSD optis. It was good of them to take care of it. They repaired a 6A for me that was past the time limit for warranty when I complained that it had hardly been used.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

while my luck with the MSD opti was not as good as yours...they also promptly replaced it when i called. I purchased it over a year before I used it and they still warrentied it after the 1 year period.

bought it in a GP on a Vette forum for $425 and sold the new one when I got it back for $400

My issue was high RPM stumble not rubbing of any rotor. frankly after looking at the MSD over the stock one by all appearances it is "built" better and attempts to resolve sealing (o ring) and pigtail harness to keep moisture from entering it. Billet case, etc. but for me I sence something in the optical part was not right.

Good to hear MSD took care of it.

Shoe...I have had a 6A on the car for 12+ years...still kicken
Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear. Wish I could say the same for their coils. I'm on my 3rd one in two years.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was also a very small amount of "grease" that was on the disc that I'm sure was getting on the optical sensor. Definitely not oil, it was really thick and hard to get off even with brake cleaner. Probably some sort of excess lube from the factory. I don't know if the MSD optis still come bolted together, but i literally took mine out of the box and slapped it on the car. No loctite, no o-ring check, nothing so I guess I'm lucky it was still working. Now I know the "problem" areas to check when I get this thing back.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MSD does well, I had a brand new coil go bad and they sent me a new one pretty quick.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mine arrived in one piece when i ordered it just over a year ago. out of curiosity i will have to pull the cap and check for similar wear when i get around to swapping out motors. how many miles/passes were on it?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Well, I bought one of the first MSD optis back in '06, and i've never had any issues. Decided to pull it apart and take a look before throwing it on the new motor because I could hear something lightly rubbing on the inside. About half the thickness of the rotor had worn itself away on the dust cap, red dust everywhere inside. It looks to me like the dust cap is warped, because there was no play in the bearings/shaft/rotor ect. Called MSD, and they're going to fix it free of charge. I'm a little disappointed that it's going to be another 3 weeks before I can get this thing running, but for MSD to warranty a 4 year old opti with no receipt? Not saying their product is of the best quality, but that's good customer service in my book. To the MSD opti's credit... it was still working great when I pulled it out, and litterally a PILE of red dust fell out when I cracked it open.
I have one with 2000 miles on it with the same issue, bought back in 2007? MSD had just started making them when I bought it. I sent back for repair, put it back on and the same thing happened again. It's been sitting in the garage ever since. Maybe I should see if they'll fix it again? If not, they can keep it.

Oh, and their coils? Not reliable. Had one go on me too. Cost me lots to get the car home. Never again.

Quick Reply: MSD Customer Service