Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full exhaust question

Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Full exhaust question

Hey guys, my mods are listed below. I'm wondering what the culprit is for the rasp I'm hearing so much of. Is it the Magnaflow or do I need cats or a Flowmaster Merge? I've thought about ditching it from the headers back and getting TSP true duals but I like having the exhaust all the way out the back. Any suggestions on how to get the rasp out of my current set-up?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a little of both. You could try improving the merge and either adding a bullet muffler in the I pipe or adding high flow cats.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd start with a good merging Y, then if your still not happy throw some cats on.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

I might just buy the TSP Y-pipe with high flow cats. It has a good merge on it too.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP
I might just buy the TSP Y-pipe with high flow cats. It has a good merge on it too.
Actually, it would be considerably cheaper for me just to sell my barely used Magnaflow catback and ORY and switch to the TSP true duals. Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

The duals only really add to the sound quality of the exhaust, and MAYBE 1-2 more hp over a good Y pipe/catback setup. If it is truly more cost effective for you to ditch the Y for true duals, go for it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
The duals only really add to the sound quality of the exhaust, and MAYBE 1-2 more hp over a good Y pipe/catback setup. If it is truly more cost effective for you to ditch the Y for true duals, go for it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
OK, cool. Sound quality is really all I'm concerned about anyway at this point.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno, looks better than most, but still average:

Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Launching!

If you go with the duals make sure its really what you want. Yea they sound good and make power. But they are loud, even louder with heads and cam. I had to go back to a y-pipe setup.

If you DD the car I would modify what you have. If you don't and just want the best sound go duals. Be honest with yourself.

BTW. I have a custom y with magnaflow cats, flowmaster merge and magnaflow catback. Sounds good with no rasp.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My flowmaster merge helped a little, but I think that rasp is just a phenomenon that comes with the Fbody in generall, unless you get duals. Every Fbody that I've heard, from LT1 to LS1 has had a similar sound when they're reved up. It might not be a definite tone similarity (as mufflers and different exhaust combos tend to add their own flavor to the note), but you can hear a definite similarity. I personally think that the raspy side of an Fcar is caused by the single pipe going over the axle with all the bends and curves associated with going into a sideways muffler and then being split into two different exits.

If you listen to a true dual car then you can't hear the Fbody noises anymore... and unless they did a bad job of picking TD components then they're usually rasp free.

Search this Thread