Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M12 T56 Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M12 T56 Rebuild Question

I have an issue with the large tapered bearing on the main shaft. During disassembly, the old bearing came off without using a press, (using only the splitter) and the new bearing goes back on without a press. Has anybody else had this issue? Do I need to replace the mainshaft? The bearing I have is Timken# 25572

Alex
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2TheFloor
I have an issue with the large tapered bearing on the main shaft. During disassembly, the old bearing came off without using a press, (using only the splitter) and the new bearing goes back on without a press. Has anybody else had this issue? Do I need to replace the mainshaft? The bearing I have is Timken# 25572

Alex
You are referring to the output shaft bearing? If so, that bearing slides off and on without the use of a press. There is a rubber o ring that keeps in place during assembly.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Correct. Right in front of first gear. The manual on this site that I was going by says to use a press to remove and reinstall the bearing. So according to what you're saying, with the o-ring removed I should be able to remove the old bearing and install a new one by hand? I just want to make sure because I don't want to put it back together and have it wear on the shaft and cause other issues.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2TheFloor
Correct. Right in front of first gear. The manual on this site that I was going by says to use a press to remove and reinstall the bearing. So according to what you're saying, with the o-ring removed I should be able to remove the old bearing and install a new one by hand? I just want to make sure because I don't want to put it back together and have it wear on the shaft and cause other issues.
Yeah it will slide off and on most of the time. Don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: M12 T56 Rebuild Question