Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket EFI controls?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default aftermarket EFI controls?

I am running a carb on my LY6 in my 67 Camaro right now, but in the future I want to run EFI. I want to be able to tune it myself.
Is the OEM computer/harness/HPTuners setup the best way, or is an aftermarket setup like Fast, or others more economical/easier. Keep in mind this is for a swap car that has never had EFI.
I have never run efi on any of my old cars before, but I am not afraid of it. just looking for solid advice since I will be basically starting from scratch.
Barrett
Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the engine is pretty much stock, or slightly modified, I'd just stick with the factory stuff. They have put a lot of time and money in to making these systems what they are.
A properly set-up wiring system and slightly modified factory tune on a pretty much stock engine would be fine, and if anyone down the road has to work on it, or diagnose anything, they should be pretty familiar with the system.
My personal opinion is that the aftermarket systems are really more for an all out race vehicle that requires over and above what the factory system can handle.