Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 RX7 Swap - Best/Cheapest place to buy a LS1 / T56 Dropout?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 RX7 Swap - Best/Cheapest place to buy a LS1 / T56 Dropout?

Looking for a decent LS1 w/ T56 Dropout. Will need Ecu etc. too.

What's the best /cheapest place to pick this up?

Last edited by ROTAROLLA; 07-12-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Alot of people have good luck with LKQ and www.car-parts.com I found my LY6 at Car-Parts which is a link to local yards or near what ever zip code you enter. E-bay is another option.

I don't know why you prefer a LS1 over a 5.3L, but you can get a 5.3L for about 1/3-1/2 of a high milage LS1. You could always get a latemodel LM7 (5.3) that has a aluminum block if weight is a issue.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Weight is my biggest concern. Thanks!

Can someone tell me what the going rate is for a mid mileage LS1/T56 combo? Just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROTAROLLA
Weight is my biggest concern. Thanks!

Can someone tell me what the going rate is for a mid mileage LS1/T56 combo? Just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself.
Its been a while since Ive checked so it could have definitely changed by now. But Id say expect to pay 1k plus for the motor and about the same for the t56 as well. Maybe even more.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Most places I checked didn't have used t-56s in stock, just remans at $2000.
You'd be better searching for the trans in the parts for sale on here.
Expect to pay at least $1200 for a reasonable mileage LS1.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Wow, that's much cheaper than I've seen. On car-parts, it seems decent milage LS1/T56 combo's go for 4K.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Like I said its been a while, but I do know they are pretty expensive. A 5.3 will make pretty much the same power and be much much cheaper, 4.8 cheaper still. Also, someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong here, but the iron block LSx motors are only 40 or 60 lbs more than that aluminum ones. That number also goes down if you put aluminum heads on it as well. Unfortunately your not going to avoid the high price of a T56 if that's what you have you heart set on, they just expensive and there's no way around it. Recently Ive been thinking about the possibility of a mustang T5 which can be had for pretty cheap. Problem is with that you give up the .50 ratio OD though for mileage, if that's a concern.

What are you swapping it into that the weight is such an issue? If its a distribution thing just move the battery to the trunk, it should help a little.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Going in a 94 RX7...

I'd like the swap to be as straight forward as possible and the LS1 is what the kits call for. Not that I can't fab something in, but I've been a little lazy lately
Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

As far as I know all the motors have the same physical dimensions. Only difference is the materials the block is made from and bore and/or stoke. They all use the exact same style block so anything that says a LS1 will fit a 5.3/4.8/6.0 should as well. A problem you will have with that car though will be the intake and the accessories I believe. I don't think the truck ones will fit, especially in an RX7, again the experts can correct me if I'm wrong. So maybe once you get all the accessories you need and an intake the savings of going with a 5.3 or something like that is less. You can make some/most of that back though if you don't mind selling the old truck stuff off though.

I can see how weight could be an issue with that car. Still don't really know how much difference it would really make though.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im going through this now with a different car. My motor cam from lkq, they power washed it and get water in everything and my cylider walls rusted out, they're replacing it no problem, so i recommend them so far. Depending on which route you go, you can get a cheap low mileage 5.3l, and get the oilpan and intake for atleast 1k less than an LS1 of the same milage.

Thing to remember is getting a motor from a place like lkq is a good deal, but you don't get ACC/wireharness/ecu. Depending and how much you spend on those, it might be a good deal to get a full drop out at a lower price on ebay or here. You can manage to make it cheaper piecing it yourself, but it takes time and patience.

Check out the sticky, its very accurate. If you can get an ls1 for the same price as the 5.3 +oilpan [200-250ish] +intake[40-60]+ rails [40-50] + injectors [40-50] go for it.

Things to consider are future mods, if your going FI, then consider things like bigger fuel rails, LS6 or fast intake, LS6 cam. You won't have to spend money twice with the 5.3 if you jump ahead, plus the 5.3 has a lower c/r so its more boost friendly.

The t56 is another story, you don't have many options. Its going to be 1k+ depending on condition,Then add the clutch.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. I need to make sure whatever engine I get will handle a turbo. I would really like to stay aluminum.

Last edited by ROTAROLLA; 07-12-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

if you are going turbo a 5.3 iron block is the way to go. you can boost them more than AL. an auto will also be a better option than a t56

use the search function, it pretty neat
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys. I need to make sure whatever engine I get will handle a turbo. I would really like to stay aluminum.
Originally Posted by txredxj
if you are going turbo a 5.3 iron block is the way to go. you can boost them more than AL. an auto will also be a better option than a t56

use the search function, it pretty neat
A while back there was a Ford Fairmont, Jim IIRC, Parrish88 and friends built to run on Pinks. It basically used donated and super cheap parts, ultra budget build. It ran a 5.3 that was given to them with a Chinese turbo and intercooler they got off of ebay. I don't know if it ever ran on Pinks or whatever came of it, but it was featured in Hot Rod and won fastest car in some event, I believe one of the Power Tour events, I believe. Cant really find anything on the car, but search for parrish, Fairmont, Chevy, pinks and you may be able to find something. Basically the 5.3 can handle plenty of boost, iron is general regarded as better for boost than aluminum. Actually IIRC the 5.3 handled even more boost then the even expected.

The car was stupid fast with basically cheap, garbage parts.

An auto in an RX7 would just be wrong though.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Teching In

All this talk about "Cheap 5.3" has me interested. How much boost/power can this engine handle with basic bolt ons?

Yeah, I need to stick with a T56. An auto would ruin the resale value of this car.

Would I just buy the block and bolt on the LS1 intake?

How about gas mileage? Is the 5.3 better or worse than the ls1? I know, I know......

I appreciate it guys.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

well the 5.3 cam in trucks and the ls1 in cars but from the swaps i have read about 240s they are pretty close for mileage. but with a trubo is mileage really a worry?

search parrish88 and ls1 swap in the performance trucks section at the top of the page. with a 5.3 and ls1 intake and ls1 style injectors ther are a few things to change, but if you get a custom harness it shouldnt be a problem. i think you will also need a comaro pan setup instead of the truck one. you will also need to find out what acc. drive you need. really you need to search some more on what you will need for the swap first.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Teching In

well the 5.3 cam in trucks and the ls1 in cars but from the swaps i have read about 240s they are pretty close for mileage. but with a trubo is mileage really a worry?

search parrish88 and ls1 swap in the performance trucks section at the top of the page. with a 5.3 and ls1 intake and ls1 style injectors ther are a few things to change, but if you get a custom harness it shouldnt be a problem. i think you will also need a comaro pan setup instead of the truck one. you will also need to find out what acc. drive you need. really you need to search some more on what you will need for the swap first.
Well, considering I'm getting 8 mpg with my single turbo rotary right now. Yeah, mileage is a issue for me

Yeah, did a bunch of searching today. Found out quite a bit, looks like I'm going with the 5.3. Thanks for the oil pan tip, didn't think about that.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

will also need the comaro, vette or gto serpentine mounts for the alt, ps pump, a/c compressor. stock ls1/t56 in a240 does like 25mpg some have reported almost 30mpg.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Well, considering I'm getting 8 mpg with my single turbo rotary right now. Yeah, mileage is a issue for me

Yeah, did a bunch of searching today. Found out quite a bit, looks like I'm going with the 5.3. Thanks for the oil pan tip, didn't think about that.
Yeah, seriously it should be pretty much exactly the same as an LS1 swap. Everything should be the same. the truck motors have different accessories though. I don't have any personal experience but I would think you can probably boost the 5.3 a good bit. Plenty enough to get a stupid fast car for sure. Its all in the tuning. A bad tune will kill a motor faster than anything. I'm sure you know this because of the modded roatry. Just remember that if you blow one of these motors you wont be able to still drive the car lol. I kid.

will also need the comaro, vette or gto serpentine mounts for the alt, ps pump, a/c compressor. stock ls1/t56 in a240 does like 25mpg some have reported almost 30mpg.
Exactly, everything Ive seen says the truck stuff will not fit.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read a post about 600 rwhp on a stock 5.3 with z06 cam. Not sure what gas they used tho. Looked for it now, and its parrish88's car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...3-600rwhp.html
Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I read that too. I'm looking to break 800 eventually. Well, whatever will get me to 145 + traps on a 6 speed.

Quick Reply: 94 RX7 Swap - Best/Cheapest place to buy a LS1 / T56 Dropout?